Lightning Maroon Clown Pairing options

Setlock13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R, I have a lightning maroon that has been in my tank for about half a year. The clown has gotten bigger in that time frame from 2 to 4 inches I believe. I've begun to start thinking about adding another clown. What options do I have available to me or what do you guys think would be the coolest match? Am I too late in the game to add another clown or can it be done?

OP
OP
Setlock13

Setlock13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the current clownfish

image.jpg

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best would be a Morse code maroon clown. It's the fish Matt Pederson recommended to us for our lightning maroon clown. Keep it clean don't cross with any gold stripe maroon clown varieties.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons can be pretty aggressive once they have been on their own for awhile. Be careful when adding for a possible pr, as the female may kill a potential mate.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the male is getting beat up remove him a week or so till healed and try again. Took us 2 attempts before our female lightning maroon clown allowed our male Morse code maroon clown to be with her. Removed him after a day n put him in sump to recover for about a week then reintroduced him and been together since.if you have a acclamation box they help also. Matt Pedersen hopefully will join in this he is the original breeder of the lightning maroon clown with the lightning project. I've discussed this mating of them before with him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Setlock13

Setlock13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help! I followed your link and found his advice: "Best mate for a Lightning Maroon is probably going to be a PNG Morse Code from Sea & Reef. Shop that had this Lightning should be able to get you the morse code as well..both are being produced by Sea & Reef in good quantities. Morse Codes should be less expensive...so let that lightning grow a lot, then get a significantly smaller Morse Code; that should ease (but not eliminate) the difficulties of pairing a maroon. But...once paired...you'll be gold. And I've found all my Maroons to be pretty mellow fish frankly...all clownfish can be aggressive when they're defending a nest...that's really what ramps them up. But the fish in this line seem to begenerally timid compared to their 'reputations'." - @mpedersen

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back