Lightning maroon clowns

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked up two good sized mated pair of lightning maroon clowns I had two regular ocellaris clowns but the female ended up killing my male so I surrendered the female to my LFS where I got the maroons. Anyhow. Got them in the tank acclimated all this and that Immediately started to host at the back where my overflow is. They keep staying at surface w/ lights on and off. I have great flow from return pump and power head. So I wouldn’t think there’s lack of O2. I keep zoas frogspawn mushrooms and a hammer coral they are all fine params are where they need to be. I guess I’ll watch them over the next couple days. Gils aren’t opening wide by any means no noticeable fish diseases that I can see. They where pretty close together in the LFS tank by themselves. So maybe just getting used to new tank new area. Just throws me off on the swimming at top in one place.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am certainly not an expert, however I can tell you that my maroon clown in QT lived exclusively in the top corner of the tank, never strayed more than 3 inches in a month in a 20 gallon. In my display he spends most of his day within 2" of the surface by the skimmer intake. Very rarely ventures more than 6" away and he's been in there since July. I am told this is totally normal clown behaviour. He also sleeps sideways at the very surface, the weirdo.

Attachments

• DSC_2709.JPG
    DSC_2709.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s get the experts in.

More curious as to how and why your Ocellaris female killed the male. What happened?
Dominance battle female kept picking and picking away at the male after all o did end up separating them Tried the mirror trick. Nothing seemed to work. Went to get some RODI water from my LFS and came back to my male gone ..

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am certainly not an expert, however I can tell you that my maroon clown in QT lived exclusively in the top corner of the tank, never strayed more than 3 inches in a month in a 20 gallon. In my display he spends most of his day within 2" of the surface by the skimmer intake. Very rarely ventures more than 6" away and he's been in there since July. I am told this is totally normal clown behaviour. He also sleeps sideways at the very surface, the weirdo.
Yeah mine sleep with their heads pointed up very strange. I’ve had two maroon clowns in the past about 4 years ago and they weren’t anything like the pair I have now. Hopefully they will open up since I’ve only had them less then 24 hours

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of clowns that are always at the top by the overflow when the lights are out. Every night they do this. The larger female seems to trap the little male agains the overflow and they seem to ‘sleep’ there. A clownfish sandwich... they are healthy and swimming around when the lights are on.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Were both started small? Or did you try to add a male or juvenile to an established female?
They where both juvies and tank mates when I got them but didn’t turn out the way I thought. On the other hand the lightning maroons are doing well the female ventures out more then the male. But end up huddling together against the back wall

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of clowns that are always at the top by the overflow when the lights are out. Every night they do this. The larger female seems to trap the little male agains the overflow and they seem to ‘sleep’ there. A clownfish sandwich... they are healthy and swimming around when the lights are on.
Mine are still huddled up by the return nozzles. Just swimming stationary the lights where out last night and the larger (female) ventured out a little bit and back to their place. I’ll give it awhile before they come out.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back