lightning maroon clowns

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone. I’ve been playing with the idea of having a pair of lightning maroon clowns in a tank all by themselves and i wanted to get your guys opinion on if they will pair or not. At my LFS they have 2 in different tanks all by themselves and they are the same size. what are your guys thoughts on getting them to pair? would it be possible?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone. I’ve been playing with the idea of having a pair of lightning maroon clowns in a tank all by themselves and i wanted to get your guys opinion on if they will pair or not. At my LFS they have 2 in different tanks all by themselves and they are the same size. what are your guys thoughts on getting them to pair? would it be possible?

"they are the same size" ... and is that size tiny? If they are already both female, no.

lightning clowns in my experience are the MOST territorial of all the clowns. If they aren't together at the LFS, ask why not. Put them together THERE. Don't bring them home only to have warfare and possible death of one.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"they are the same size" ... and is that size tiny? If they are already both female, no.

lightning clowns in my experience are the MOST territorial of all the clowns. If they aren't together at the LFS, ask why not. Put them together THERE. Don't bring them home only to have warfare and possible death of one.
This. If one was bigger than the other than maybe.... But if both are the same size it usually ends badly.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they’re both about 1.5-2 inches. i cant tell which one is female but one is darker in color if that helps at all.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've paired maroons 3 times with success. It's takes quite a while but I have never lost a male when introducing them individually. I buy a female if possible, if not a male and wait untill it turns female. I like to keep the single fish in the tank for at least 6 months. A nem really helps as maroons love them but not required. Come to think of it I don't think I have ever kept clowns without nems. Oh well. Once she is settled I go out and find the smallest baby maroon clown I can and buy it. Then home and into the acclimation box, after qt of course if you do that. The female should have territory established by now so I place the acclimation box out of her territory and see if she shows interest. I gradually move the little guy closer everyday. Don't rush it. Once you get him into her territory leave him in the box for a few days. I then I cross my fingers and let the little guy out. She'll attack and hopefully he'll do his little submission dance and hopefully she'll accept him without beeting him up too bad. Disclaimer: This has worked for me but there are no guarantee that she won't kill him. Personally I won't introduce 2 at once and hope one changes. I did that once with a pair of lightnings and it was non stop battle untill one was dead.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they’re both about 1.5-2 inches. i cant tell which one is female but one is darker in color if that helps at all.

No - I think that size is risky... SIZE has everything to do with how they become sexed. Only the largest is female. Refer above post #5.

This is good info - you can't change species behavior just because you want the two at the LFS right now...
I've paired maroons 3 times with success. It's takes quite a while but I have never lost a male when introducing them individually. I buy a female if possible, if not a male and wait untill it turns female. I like to keep the single fish in the tank for at least 6 months. A nem really helps as maroons love them but not required. Come to think of it I don't think I have ever kept clowns without nems. Oh well. Once she is settled I go out and find the smallest baby maroon clown I can and buy it. Then home and into the acclimation box, after qt of course if you do that. The female should have territory established by now so I place the acclimation box out of her territory and see if she shows interest. I gradually move the little guy closer everyday. Don't rush it. Once you get him into her territory leave him in the box for a few days. I then I cross my fingers and let the little guy out. She'll attack and hopefully he'll do his little submission dance and hopefully she'll accept him without beeting him up too bad. Disclaimer: This has worked for me but there are no guarantee that she won't kill him. Personally I won't introduce 2 at once and hope one changes. I did that once with a pair of lightnings and it was non stop battle untill one was dead.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, i think this is my best course of action. i’d hate to get both and have one end up dead.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also this is gonna sound stupid but when i go to buy one should i buy the lighter color one of the darker one?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are non lightning maroons, but I bought them and paired them successfully back in August. Much like @exnisstech I've gotten lucky with clown pairing over the years. This is my 4th set of Maroons since 1998. Last 2 pairs were lightnings these are standard maroons. Had a hard time readily finding lightning maroons... The maroons have a huge dimorphism between the male & female. Female has darkened since the video, she was way light back in August.

I also have these little skunks in the tank with the maroons, they were already paired.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thank you.
Found a old image of my pair. Mine were both dark.
IMG_20180809_200046.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back