Lights for a 230 Gallon with Nems and Basic Corals

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all really.

I don't need anything crazy, but enough output to keep a BTA or two, and maybe a soft coral like GSP. Well, that and growing algae for the tangs.

Metal Halides are out, I only have 23" between the top of the tank and the ceiling. LEDs would be preferable, and I am not against black boxes. Was thinking 2 300w Mars Aquas or Vivarspectras, but I don't know if those would have enough jam to reach the bottom of the tank. It's 30" deep.

I do have a ton of 4 bulb 80w High Output T5 ballasts, but would need better reflectors, bulbs and to hire an electrician to wire them in. But again, not sure if that would have enough juice to keep the nem happy.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black boxes with a few kessils or some sort of cannon lights to keep some of the bottom lit

ReeferGuy927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going for the same thing. I just bought a 165 gallon. I ordered 3 Noopsyche K7 ProII ($109ea) an d 3 4' AliExpress Bars ($58ea)

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, lighting is always such a fun topic. Not a bad idea actually. Bulk lighting with a cheapo black box, and use a kessil or similar to spot light the Nems.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at some kessil while at my lfs today. At $175CAD Each, that's a bit beyond my budget for lights. While I am aware lights, especially good ones aren't cheap, I was hoping to stay around the $300-$400 mark. Unless two kessils can light my whole tank, may have to look elsewhere. At least for a little while. Probably means I won't be keeping a nem for a good while either.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back