Lights In The Night - NWFK's 125G Flashlight Fish Build!

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory: This is something I've wanted to do for a while. Ever since going back to the California Academy Of Sciences 2 years ago and just standing in their walk in Flashlight Fish display, for some reason, they just grabbed my attention. I've been there many times before, and have seen a couple other Flashlight Fish exhibits, but this time something changed which drew a passion out of thin air, and then I found out you could have them as pets! Over the past Year & Half (Since January 2020) I've come up with different ideas in my mind on how to make it possible, and now I've constructed something that is both affordable and effective. After talking with places such as the Toldeo Zoo, Dallas World Aquarium, and the Man whose helped me the most with just about every question I had, @Jay Hemdal (Fun Fact, one of the reasons I signed up on R2R was just to talk to him about this since I couldn't contact him anywhere else). My plan with this build is to also educate people on how to keep Flashlight Fish properly, since I've seen wayyy too many people throw them into Reef Tanks or Tropical FOWLR Tanks which is Just not the setting you want to keep them in. Another thing I would like to try is Breeding, I do have a couple ideas on how i could try it, like replicating the temperature changes from there natural habitat during the correct season and see if it changes anything. The only report of breeding the specific species I'm looking at is from 2017 by ReefToRainforestMedia from the DWA, and the only update was "we now have day 6 larvae". They did say they might've cracked the correct food combo they need, but whether they were successful I have no idea. If they were, I find it kind of strange there's been no updates / reports.

Present: The 25th I ended up picking up a 125G from a local (SeaTownReef on Instagram) and have officially started the build! He offered me the Tank, Stand, and Lids at a really good price, and the only reason I don't have the stand right now is because the car wasn't big enough to fit both Tank & Stand, and here in Washington/Just about the whole Pacific Northwest in general is going through a "History Making" Heatwave right now so it would be a death sentence to drive to his house right now until Wednesday lol

In terms of the 125, I feel like it's a really excellent size for a decent sized group of Flashlight Fish since it's a size that you can realistically have in a home, and offers plenty of swimming room. This one isn't drilled, which is fine and I'll be using a Canister Filter on it.

In terms of what species I'm going after, The One Fin Flashlight Fish (Photoblepharon Palpebratus) is my set stocking, specially 5 (maybe 6, I'll have to check in with Jay on that since my original plan was a 100G and he recommended 4-5 for it, so maybe the extra 25G will allow me to squeeze in 1 more). These are not as commonly seen in the hobby, as their cousin the Split Fin Flashlight Fish (Anomalops Katoptron) which you may have seen a couple for sale on Divers Den Recently. Why would I go after the less common species though? Jay explains it all in his article which is also available here on R2R if you haven't seen it already , but basically: They're hardier, Have their "Lights" on more often and for longer periods of time, and in my opinion just look cooler.

Anyways, that's all I have on the build for now! I thought about what stage of the build I should start the thread on, but I figured that starting it from the beginning was the best choice. I'll be documenting everything about the build, and the fish on here. Soon, I'll also show the QT Tank + approach I'll take since QT ing Flashlights is an extremely important step.

I hope everyone enjoys this journey along with me! And sorry for the long read
You can also keep up with other updates on the build on my socials such as My Instagram and Youtube!

Tank: still needs a bit of cleaning, but nothing bad
IMG_20210627_124756_308.jpg

IMG_20210627_124756_263.jpg

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out about these fish and in another post you commented on. They're so cool and now im considering starting a 4th tank lol. im excited for your build. Have you found a supplier for them?

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out about these fish and in another post you commented on. They're so cool and now im considering starting a 4th tank lol. im excited for your build. Have you found a supplier for them?
I have! My main supplier right now is Ocean Devotion, I sent Adam a draft of a "custom livestock" order thing, and he told me there's a high chance he can get the One Fins in since he's gotten in some other species before. My second supplier if Ocean Devotion doesn't work out is Reef Beauties since they have them for sale from time to time and at a pretty good price too

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have! My main supplier right now is Ocean Devotion, I sent Adam a draft of a "custom livestock" order thing, and he told me there's a high chance he can get the One Fins in since he's gotten in some other species before. My second supplier if Ocean Devotion doesn't work out is Reef Beauties since they have them for sale from time to time and at a pretty good price too
Can i ask what the prices are like? Im pretty interested in these guys.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats alot cheaper than i was expecting lol thanks
Yup, about $90 for Some Split Fins on LA, But Reef Beauties sells them for $50 a piece. The One Fins though go for about $60-110 I've seen depending on the source

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm REALLY excited about this!! Following!!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Should be getting the QT Setup up soon which I'll talk about a bit. Unless the right season hits, it seems like I might be going with Split Fin Flashlight Fish (Anomalops Katoptron) instead of The One Fins (Photoblepharon Palpebratus) since it seems like there's some mis-ID issues / just no demand for them right now. I'm completely fine if I have to settle on split fins since fun fact: Apparently if you flash a small Flashlight at the tank, it'll cause them to flash back which sounds really cool and something I'd like to try if I do get Split Fins.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Should be getting the QT Setup up soon which I'll talk about a bit. Unless the right season hits, it seems like I might be going with Split Fin Flashlight Fish (Anomalops Katoptron) instead of The One Fins (Photoblepharon Palpebratus) since it seems like there's some mis-ID issues / just no demand for them right now. I'm completely fine if I have to settle on split fins since fun fact: Apparently if you flash a small Flashlight at the tank, it'll cause them to flash back which sounds really cool and something I'd like to try if I do get Split Fins.
so excited to see the results!!!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So I thought this would be a good piece of information to put here; After talking with Jay Hemdal some more, the kind of "How many Flashlight Fish can I have in a 125?" Seems to be answered, and basically, it's; 1 Fish per 10 Gallons (applies to both species) which is a lot more than I was thinking of. So I'm thinking of just maxing out somewhere of about 9 Fish? It's going to depend since The One Fin Flashlight (Photoblepharon Palpebratus), the mood depends on the fish since he also told me that some groups get along fine, and some fight which is a bit worrying, so im leaning a bit more towards Split Fin Flashlight Fish now since they don't fight, and while they are more delicate, there needs are mostly the same, they just need a little bit cooler water at about 71-73°F. So the specific species is up in the air right now, but I thought this would be helpful if anyone was thinking of setting up a tank around the same size :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see the fish in the tank!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210701_202216.jpg

Picked up the Stand + Lids today! Stand needs a bit of cleaning like the tank, but its minor stuff like wiping and salt creep. I'm fine with any cleaning since I got everything for half the price of a brand new set, QT should be this weekend if im not lazy (it is Summer Break after all lol) !

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210701_202216.jpg

Picked up the Stand + Lids today! Stand needs a bit of cleaning like the tank, but its minor stuff like wiping and salt creep. I'm fine with any cleaning since I got everything for half the price of a brand new set, QT should be this weekend if im not lazy (it is Summer Break after all lol) !
so cooL!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So unfortunately I did end up becoming pretty busy the past weekend/ week, and I'm still pretty busy for the rest of the week (Things for drivers Ed tomorrow, etc) but I should be for a bit to setup the QT Tank for now! Hopefully that'll be up soon as well
But, I did manage to edit + upload the 1st Part of the Build in video format to my YouTube! This is going to cover more so the same, there might be some other stuff I don't mention on here, in the video since most of it is improvised since I don't do well with scripts lol but if you'd rather see / hear instead of read, there ya go!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Sorry it's been almost a month since posting, I've been kind of busy IRL and went on a trip to Maui (I might post a link to Snorkeling footage when i get that all posted) but honestly there hasn't been a ton going on with the project.

The QT Tank I should really be getting up this weekend. But after that most of the updates should be coming around the Fall since the main filtration costs a ton. I do have a couple other things going on that I'll post a link to that thread here soon, but here's just an update to say that I'm not abandoning the project, it's just going to take a while lol

Also the fact that school starts right on September 1st this year unlike years before where it was the 7th / 8th so thats going to suck. But it shouldn't throw a wrench in the plans so fingers crossed everything goes well for the rest of the year

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Sorry it's been almost a month since posting, I've been kind of busy IRL and went on a trip to Maui (I might post a link to Snorkeling footage when i get that all posted) but honestly there hasn't been a ton going on with the project.

The QT Tank I should really be getting up this weekend. But after that most of the updates should be coming around the Fall since the main filtration costs a ton. I do have a couple other things going on that I'll post a link to that thread here soon, but here's just an update to say that I'm not abandoning the project, it's just going to take a while lol

Also the fact that school starts right on September 1st this year unlike years before where it was the 7th / 8th so thats going to suck. But it shouldn't throw a wrench in the plans so fingers crossed everything goes well for the rest of the year
good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back