Lights out - Coral Health

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to learn as much as I make my way through reefing, and one question that I have is addressing the scenario when the power goes out for a certain length in time, what is the impact on the corals - understanding that they are photosynthetic and need light. I heard about blacking out aquariums to control/get rid of algae, so I'm wondering then if corals can really be without light for a few days?

I have a back up battery supply, and I have the light hooked up to it, but I am thinking that I should not and save the power more for the pump and wavemakers.

Thoughts?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can live without light for a few days, but not without oxygen or flow. You should have a battery powered air pump (and air stone) in case the power goes out. Would be good to find a battery powered pump too, but if not, sometimes you got to move the water around with a large ladle or sometime. Flow and oxygen must always be provided (the flow brings the oxygen to the coral), without these 2 things the coral will die quickly.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above...while it's very true a prolonged blackout would cause it to bleach, that would take a lot longer than a few days but there are other things to worry about like those listed above.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also important to keep an eye on PH.

I recently did a blackout to get out-of-control dino's under control in a tank, and while it worked I lost my millepora frag to STN and had to frag my tenuis, due to the PH swing. Thankfully my Efflo and Monti's are ok.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back