Lights too large?

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank with the worst dimensions ever (55gal 48x14x20) but am planning an upgrade within the next year.

I have the opportunity to pick up 2 XR30 gen 5’s at a pretty solid deal and 3 XR30’s would be perfect for the new tank I’m planning so could just add a 3rd later.

Given the fact the my current tank is only 14” wide would the XR30’s be ridiculous to use on this tank in the mean time with light spilling out into the room to the point it would look crazy or would this look ok for a while?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the fact the my current tank is only 14” wide would the XR30’s be ridiculous to use on this tank in the mean time with light spilling out into the room to the point it would look crazy or would this look ok for a while?

Turn on a flash light and rest it on a table top. Now, gradually pick the light up away from the table. As the light is raised further from the table top, the area on the table that the light covers (know as "spread") will become larger. And as you move closer to the table, the area the light covers is smaller.

What you are describing is the spread of the light. And in your case, the light spread is far greater than the footprint of the tank. You can adjust the light from spilling out of the tank by adjusting the distance of the fixture from the top of the tank.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank with the worst dimensions ever (55gal 48x14x20) but am planning an upgrade within the next year.

I have the opportunity to pick up 2 XR30 gen 5’s at a pretty solid deal and 3 XR30’s would be perfect for the new tank I’m planning so could just add a 3rd later.

Technically putting the lights at like 7" off the water line is the starting point with a 14" wide tank and the 90 degree- ish lensing of the g5.
Lights about 12" long ( led panels smaller,ignoring for now)
At 7" your l,r coverage starts at about 14" apart total 7+12+14+12+7 = 52" so good there . Not EXACT figures but close enough.

I see no issues as to spread and coverage.
Flare will depend on seating ect.

See prev. post for physical method.
My " calculations" should be close, hopefully.
:)

Physically like 6" from end of tank to light frame
Same on the other side. Gap between the 2 should be 12" or so
Lights 11.8" eh... Want a stronger hot spot, slightly duller ends or too much light spill on the sides...bring them together more

Last edited:

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically putting the lights at like 7" off the water line is the starting point with a 14" wide tank and the 90 degree- ish lensing of the g5.
Lights about 12" long ( led panels smaller,ignoring for now)
At 7" your l,r coverage starts at about 14" apart total 7+12+14+12+7 = 52" so good there . Not EXACT figures but close enough.

I see no issues as to spread and coverage.
Flare will depend on seating ect.

See prev. post for physical method.
My " calculations" should be close, hopefully.
:)

Physically like 6" from end of tank to light frame
Same on the other side. Gap between the 2 should be 12" or so
Lights 11.8" eh... Want a stronger hot spot, slightly duller ends or too much light spill on the sides...bring them together more
Then gen 5 I installed for a friend have a lot of light spill, much more than would be expected from 90 degrees lense. I can’t find specs on them though

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Radion G6 increases output from an impressive 110.5 degrees in the G5 to a staggering 126.3 degrees."
Way more than 90°
Even the g5 seems like 180°

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back