OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this keep going, and you doo not add creatures that use alk, then putting the bisulfate in your ATO may be a fine plan, assuming it is made of materials that can withstand low pH.

Can you list any foods that you use?
I mainly feed LRS Reef Frenzy Nano but also, occasionally, feed home-made with MOSTLY chopped, fresh (grocery store) clams/mussels.
Nori and fresh clams for inverts periodically but not massive amounts.

If I knew of easy creatures that use alk, I'd consider that.
So far, I do have 2 LPS (Duncan corals) and they're growing but still just single heads with one sprouting 4-5 new heads.
*don't really have any idea how many corals of which types/sizes would really be needed to start using noticeable alkalinity

I have wondered if I could do anything to my ATO source -- I guess sodium bisulfate would decrease alk in RO/DI the same as it does in saltwater? ...so basically make NEGATIVE alkalinity top off water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the bisulfate is just residing as H+ and sulfate in the ATO water, providing it with a negative alk. The problem, as with any other way of adding directly is that it will lower pH significantly. Slow dosing and high aeration will mitigate the effect.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back