Limestone Rock in Reef Tank

jourspacedan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. What are the negative effects of using a limestone rock in a reef tank? I've done my fair share of research and the only think I could find is that it's not porous so it cannot house live bacterias as well as dry/live rocks.

The thing is, I found this neat limestone rock and impulsively used is as the centerpiece in my tank. What I want to know is that aside from not housing live bacterias are there any other negative things about using this kind of rock in a reef tank? Like leaching silicates or other bad minerals?

On the positive side, it's basically made of calcium carbonate, if I'm not mistaken, so it helps buffer the water.

Thanks!

20201218_110812.jpg 20201220_200400.jpg 20201228_200021.jpg 20210301_194214.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like common holey rock to me. Although not as porous as some rocks that are used, pretty much any calcium based rock will be ok in your tank. At least I hope so. I've been using holey rock for over 30 years because I like the tunnels/swim throughs it provides. I've never had an issue with it in 30+ years. If something happens, I'll be sure to let you know!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jourspacedan

jourspacedan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like common holey rock to me. Although not as porous as some rocks that are used, pretty much any calcium based rock will be ok in your tank. At least I hope so. I've been using holey rock for over 30 years because I like the tunnels/swim throughs it provides. I've never had an issue with it in 30+ years. If something happens, I'll be sure to let you know!!!
Oh great, thanks! Same, I like how it's full of tunnels for my fish to swim thru. My clowfish loves to stay in the tunnels so much that I rarely see them go out.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fine. However that makes up the majority of your rock work. I wouldn't try to have the normal amount of fish for your tank size... maybe not half as compared to others with reef rock instead.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back