Limpets and Coralline Algae

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2020
Messages
6,952
Reaction score
8,149
Location
phoenix
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a tank that's about 2 and I don't have any coralline algae, despite seeing good growth and healthy coral. At first I thought it was because I had a bunch of urchins but they were rehomed due to a lack of food and in the year they've been gone I still have none. I noticed patches that pop up from time to time (mostly on powerheads) but then it disappears shortly after. I never see any on rocks. I have a 500g tank with tens of thousands of limpets. Now I don't mind their presence (I think they look cool actually) and they do a bangup job on my algae but I'm beginning to think they are eating all my Coralline. Does anyone know if this is in their diet??
 
Years ago, I had some of the big ones from Hawaii and they were superb cleaners and never ate coralline that I noticed. Mostly they stayed on the glass and reproduced prolifically. Fast forward to this tank and I have introduced some of the tiny ones that reefcleaners sells but never saw them again after introduction. Never seen the big ones available again either.
 
Years ago, I had some of the big ones from Hawaii and they were superb cleaners and never ate coralline that I noticed. Mostly they stayed on the glass and reproduced prolifically. Fast forward to this tank and I have introduced some of the tiny ones that reefcleaners sells but never saw them again after introduction. Never seen the big ones available again either.
Mine were 100% eating my coralline. I was having it only in spots that they never went, on the rocks it would show up and be gone the next day. After introducing a fish that snacked on them i started having it grow all over my rocks. I used to have tens of thousands of them!
 
Mine were 100% eating my coralline. I was having it only in spots that they never went, on the rocks it would show up and be gone the next day. After introducing a fish that snacked on them i started having it grow all over my rocks. I used to have tens of thousands of them!

Can you tell me what fish this was?
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 75.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new