Lineatus with infection... and anchor worms? (pics)

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry in advance - This is going to be long winded:

I've had a lineatus in QT for just over 3 weeks now. When I first got him, I noticed some white around/in his mouth... honestly, I couldn't tell if it was just his coloration or a growth. I decided to watch it before taking any action (he was eating and behaving normally), and I wanted to get 2x rounds Prazi out of the way first, but I did notice it was getting bigger. Now, he also had a small beige nodule on his anal fin that also was getting larger - this may very have just been lymphocytes, but I was having a hard time telling with his mouth.

So, I decided to start treatment with Furan-2 and Sulfaplex for 10 days. Tuesday (7/2) will be 10th Furan-2 dose (I did miss 2 days in the middle, unfortunately), and I've done 3 doses of Sulfaplex @ 3 days apart with 25% water change every-other day and a 50% water change Friday as water getting a little cloudy.

Initially, the fish was out and about a lot and easily eating. This past week, I noticed the fish becoming more reclusive and not immediately going after food... I've lost several wrasses around the 3 week mark beginning with this behavior and going downhill extremely quickly. I think it's actually been velvet (at least one fish was dead and covered in white dusting) and while my QT protocols do include copper, I was slow to get it going in these cases. As such, I'm very paranoid of this behavior especially since I was holding off copper while doing the antibiotics. I decided to do a 90 min reef rally bath @ 2/3 tsp/gallon on Friday with plans to do another bath and move to sterile QT today.

Once I got the fish into the bath, I could see his mouth had cleared up and looks good. However, when I was going to remove the fish from the bath, I made sure to get a closer look at rest of him to see if there were any other issues - low and behold he has a red spot of infection right at the base of his anal fin. Upon closer inspection, there are 2 short (1/4"), clear appendages that appear to directly protruding out of his skin. I did a lot looking around the internets and am wondering if these are actually anchor worms?

I couldn't find a lot info, but what I did find seems to correlate:

"Symptoms - Anchor worms appear as red or inflamed skin irritations with little whitish-green worms sticking out. The tail of the worm makes a V. Often a fish will rub on rocks and sand in an attempt to dislodge the worm(s)."

While I did say he's been very reclusive, I have actually discovered he seems to have become extremely sensitive to anyone near the tank - if I quietly walk into the room from 10+ ft away, he's actually out swimming in front of his favorite pvc pipe a lot and only darts in when there's sound/vibration or the tank is being approached. Watching from across the room, I haven't noticed any behavior problems such as twitching, head shaking, swimming in current of power head, flashing, rubbing, etc - he seams to be just swimming normally. He still isn't readily eating, but I've seen him snatch occasionally piece of food as it floats by (currently on day 10 of metro soaked food with a 2 day skip in the middle).

Pics:

2RDwWdS.jpg

*white spot in eye I believe is just from the lighting.

ZfXJWOy.jpg

jHb0Wsv.jpg

8Ykg4H4.jpg

Does anchor worm seem to be correct? If not anchor worms - what's likely going here, and what I should I do?

What course of action should I take once he's into a sterile QT?

Do I finish 10 days of Furan-2 (2 more doses) or skip to Dimilin (it'll likely be several days before I can get Dimilin)? Go trifecta route? Do Dimilin then antibiotics? How to dose Dimilin and is it safe for wrasses?

I assume, if these are anchor worms, I'll need to manually pull it out with tweezers? Any advice on exactly how to go about this?

Should I do a FW dip before the reef rally bath?

Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Meds I currently have on hand:

Furan-2, Metroplex, Kanaplex, Sulfaplex, Erythromycin, Reef Rally, Copper Power, and methenyl blue.

Thanks for all you help!

#reefsquad

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to hear it. I've never experienced anchor worms. Pretty awful. :(

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss...our fish gurus get busy this time of year sorry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back