Lineatus Wrasse Laying on Bottom During Day

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my lineatus wrasse for about a week now and today I came home to find him laying where my sand and rock meet. This is common at night as it’s his typical sleeping behavior for me, but never during the daytime, not even when I first added him. He has been great before this, very active and always hungry. Now he has not moved until I put the net in which got him up and swimming normally for about 2 minutes before he returned to the same spot. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed the tank a few minutes ago, he got up and swam around, still is as of me writing this. He would take food he was previously eating in but then spit it out in pieces. Not sure if that is any helpful but it does make me more concerned..

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a number of things.

The most likely with a fairy wrasse is that it jumped or darted and hit something hard.

Another possibility, is if you don't qt it could be dealing with a parasite.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a number of things.

The most likely with a fairy wrasse is that it jumped or darted and hit something hard.

Another possibility, is if you don't qt it could be dealing with a parasite.

My guess was that it jumped as well.. unfortunately I slept at a friends last night after watching a basketball game and didn’t get home until a little while ago. He was QT’ed for 3 weeks by my LFS and I trust them a lot, have seen their QT before and I was waiting for this fish to come out for sale. But like I said, he did wonderfully in my system up until this point when I came home today and noticed him missing and panicked. Found him against a rock. Anything I can do to help improve his recovery assuming it was a jump related injury?

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s doing a lot better today, swimming around most of the time and has eaten. However I do see some light spots on him and notice him twitching every so often. @eatbreakfast does this sound like flukes to you? I just thought it was weird that after a 3 week QT and another week in my system it would suddenly appear like that in a fish that was in seemingly perfect condition. I won’t do a FW dip because I hear it can be really stressful and I’d rather not take the risk on such an expensive fish, but if it sounds like flukes to you I’ll get out and buy some Prazi.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s doing a lot better today, swimming around most of the time and has eaten. However I do see some light spots on him and notice him twitching every so often. @eatbreakfast does this sound like flukes to you? I just thought it was weird that after a 3 week QT and another week in my system it would suddenly appear like that in a fish that was in seemingly perfect condition. I won’t do a FW dip because I hear it can be really stressful and I’d rather not take the risk on such an expensive fish, but if it sounds like flukes to you I’ll get out and buy some Prazi.
Twitching and spots can be flukes or ich, depending on the size of the spots. Prazi is pretty gentle so I would treat with that anyway.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twitching and spots can be flukes or ich, depending on the size of the spots. Prazi is pretty gentle so I would treat with that anyway.

Prazi went in a few minutes ago and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a few flukes drop already but maybe I’m just being too hopeful lol. All of my corals have closed up except for zoas and one acro.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Corals will be fine with prazi. Supermale lineatus can ship a lil worse than some others. But at this point it should be fine.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure he will be ok.... make sure he’s eating well and he will be fine.... super hardy fish once established.... I have seen inch on my wrasses during day and they shed it off be next day. They cocoon at night and must shed parasites off...

Here is a pic of mine:
87deec73f624540f18e12564e52432a6.jpg
9d12c9b951772b6b25b155365c6affcb.jpg

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/lfs-fish-“treatment”-the-“sudden”-need-for-quarantine.308/

This will help explain how LFS cannot handle properly treating fish, economically and logistically.

This 100% makes sense and I would assume it ended up picking them up when it went out into the main connected systems, I wasn’t thinking about the fact that they’re all connected at the time. I did know that the fish was there for a while in the back before being brought out, but once it was put out with the other fish (majority of which are not monitored like the others) it was fair game to anything that another had. I am not a fan of QTing wrasses since they seem to do much better going straight into a more natural environment, but I suppose that from now on I’ll just try and replicate a display tank with some rock and sand in a separate system hoping nothing shows up and I don’t need copper or anything that could be absorbed. Thanks for sharing that!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back