Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lined Seahorse / Hippocampus erectus

skinz78-albums-seahorses-picture12354-4040889959-8fe0fbc6fd.jpg

SCIENTIFIC NAME - Hippocampus erectus

COMMON NAME - Lined Seahorse

SIZE - 5.9" ( 15 cm)

MIN. AQUARIUM SIZE - 20 US Gal. ( 76 L)

FOODS AND FEEDING - Live or vitamin enriched frozen Mysid shrimp, Brine shrimp, frequent feeding sessions of 20 to 30 minutes a minimum of 3 times a day.

REEF COMPATIBILITY - Not reef safe. Do not keep with corals or anemones that have stinging tentacles.

CAPTIVE CARE - Best kept in a quiet species tank without competitive tank mates or excessive water flow, Less hardy than it's Atlantic counterpart. Purchase only specimens that are active and feeding, slow eaters and require an abundance of food at least 3 times a day. A protein skimmer is recommended on the system and frequent water changes as well to keep the water quality high. Stationary perches around the tank positioned so that they can wrap their tails around as a hold fast are a must.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38dc83f6-4296-45b9-b2d2-0ab43373a730_zpsdf0af2d1.jpg

These seahorses can have quite the personality. They actually do well in tanks that have some flow. I have seen my seahorses ride the flow on the filter output many times. They use the flow to glide across the tank. H. erectus are pretty easy to train to eat from a feeding dish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back