Lion fish

Ragunan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this lionfish and I googled it and im quiet sure that its a zebra lion. But how can one tell if its a dwarf or not?currently its about 3-4 inch
7e97af3b675f456d10d51cfdb5f2eb07.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Dwarf" refers to a group of lions that stay smaller than the huge ones like volitans. Zebras and fuzzy, and a couple others belong

Zebra lions are Dendrochirus zebra, and they are all dwarfs.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a dwarf zebra lionfish, while listed at 7", in captivity it will likely settle closer to 5" or just over. I feed my lions a mainly live diet and my zebra is over 6" and I've had him for several years. Any other concerns, just ask; feeding can be challenging. Don't think he is getting enough sustenance just by nibbling food from the water column, such as mysis etc. These guys need to be target fed chunky bits of meaty food, 2-3 a week until you see a little bulge in their bellies. Better yet for them to really thrive some live ghost shrimp at least once a week.

OP
OP
Ragunan

Ragunan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Dwarf" refers to a group of lions that stay smaller than the huge ones like volitans. Zebras and fuzzy, and a couple others belong

Zebra lions are Dendrochirus zebra, and they are all dwarfs.

Of all the internet searches.your 5 lines of explanation is the clearest. Thank you.
So in other words. All zebras are dwarf but not all dwarf are zebras?!!

OP
OP
Ragunan

Ragunan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a dwarf zebra lionfish, while listed at 7", in captivity it will likely settle closer to 5" or just over. I feed my lions a mainly live diet and my zebra is over 6" and I've had him for several years. Any other concerns, just ask; feeding can be challenging. Don't think he is getting enough sustenance just by nibbling food from the water column, such as mysis etc. These guys need to be target fed chunky bits of meaty food, 2-3 a week until you see a little bulge in their bellies. Better yet for them to really thrive some live ghost shrimp at least once a week.

It likes to hang out on the bottom half of the tank.mostly just on the sand and once awhile on the rock. Not an active fish I assume. I toss raw shrimp in the tank. He looked at it but did not show any interest in it. Then I tied the shrimp onto a string and mimic an “animal” but again no interest.
Tday im gonna get ghost shrimp in the lfs. Any tips of getting it to eat prepared food?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It likes to hang out on the bottom half of the tank.mostly just on the sand and once awhile on the rock. Not an active fish I assume. I toss raw shrimp in the tank. He looked at it but did not show any interest in it. Then I tied the shrimp onto a string and mimic an “animal” but again no interest.
Tday im gonna get ghost shrimp in the lfs. Any tips of getting it to eat prepared food?

They almost always come in eating live food only, so it's important to get him eating right away by offering him live ghost shrimp. These guys will pass the point of no return and never eat and die. Personally I don't concern myself with "training" my lions to dead food, so doing more research on this matter may benefit you.

I've found these guys thrive best when given live foods on a regular basis. mine does take dead food but I maintain their main diet live gut loaded ghosties and occasional mollies. My zebra isn't a big fish fan, but my fu love mollies and guppies. It gives them enrichment; being predators in captivity, they really do need the hunt.

A live diet will encourage a more active display, as their tank becomes a hunting ground. My lions are always cruising, very active, and have room to roam. If you keep them in a smaller tank, say anything less than a 55g; and feed them a dead only diet, they will not be that active. And likely won't live that long.

Horrible vid quality but this is my 90g lion's reef, although the lion's will perch and hang a bit of their day away. I could never be in my office more than a 1/2 hour without witnessing a display like this.

OP
OP
Ragunan

Ragunan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They almost always come in eating live food only, so it's important to get him eating right away by offering him live ghost shrimp. These guys will pass the point of no return and never eat and die. Personally I don't concern myself with "training" my lions to dead food, so doing more research on this matter may benefit you.

I've found these guys thrive best when given live foods on a regular basis. mine does take dead food but I maintain their main diet live gut loaded ghosties and occasional mollies. My zebra isn't a big fish fan, but my fu love mollies and guppies. It gives them enrichment; being predators in captivity, they really do need the hunt.

A live diet will encourage a more active display, as their tank becomes a hunting ground. My lions are always cruising, very active, and have room to roam. If you keep them in a smaller tank, say anything less than a 55g; and feed them a dead only diet, they will not be that active. And likely won't live that long.

Horrible vid quality but this is my 90g lion's reef, although the lion's will perch and hang a bit of their day away. I could never be in my office more than a 1/2 hour without witnessing a display like this.

I got ghost shrimps just now and it ate 6 in 30 seconds. So how often should i feed it. Its about 3 1/2 inch.

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed 2-3 times a week to satiation. In time it'll start to associate you with food and come up and beg, mine used to spit water at me. It should also become more active once it becomes more comfortable with its surroundings, but they will perch on rocks and substrate quite a bit as well not unlike a hawkfish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back