Lionfish advise-help

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
In advance, "Yes I am an idiot but I couldn't leave it!"
Have (what I believe) is a Zebra Dwarf Lionfish which I obtained 2 weeks ago. Stupid decision but the veterinarian in me couldn't leave it; not that I am any better at caring for it.
Was returning a fish due to aggression at lfs, was told I could swap it and as he knew I liked lionfish suggested to take this tiny sorrowful lion that was sitting at the bottom of the tank. He didn't know if baby volitans or dwarf lion. Fish in question only an inch in length. He hadn't seen it eat, wasn't monitoring it's appetite and was providing frozen mysis in the tank.
I enquires about live brine shrimp and was informed impossible to get unless knew a private supplier; this was confirmed at other fish places I have enquired with.
As I am a sucker, am presently off work and have a number of tiny peppermint shrimp I thought would give it a go and return it when it looked happier and hence a risk to my other fish. It is also a zebra dwarf I believe.
2 weeks on he/she comes out nocturnally, has no interest in feeding times so I feed the tank when he is active, I believe my peppermints are still untouched and given his size and possible breed am wondering if feeder fish may not be an option (read they eat shrimp, crustaceans predom, if incorrect love to know) my clown gobies are also fighting fit.
Is my tank any better than lfs, I believe likely as it has loads live rock for hiding unlike the bare tank he was in.
Also do they eat Copepods as have seen a number in my tank after dark.
I am not sure what else to do other than return him and hope he finds a better home for rehabilitation.
Any advise on what and how to offer; he hides also when hv tried to get food directly near him
No I am aware am putting my tank at risk as hvnt put him in quarantine
Thankbyou

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look man I don't have a clue about lionfish but.. all fish will eat what they want when they want. When be seems the most active try to get a little meaty food in front of him. Let him adjust. He is a young animal that only know what he has seen. Don't stress him too much. Just try to keep him stable and content.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the peppermints in relation to the lion? At this size they would need to be no larger than half it's size. Also peppermints are pretty good at staying inaccessible.

He will prefer dimmer lighting as lions are most active at dawn and dusk.

@lion king

OP
OP
Jenz

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the peppermints in relation to the lion? At this size they would need to be no larger than half it's size. Also peppermints are pretty good at staying inaccessible.

He will prefer dimmer lighting as lions are most active at dawn and dusk.

@lion king
These peppermints would only be about 5-6mm in length. At another of my locals they didn't have anything they would classify as small enough for this fellow unless he goes for freshwater tetras/guppies/mollies.
Fortunately ATM I am trying to climatise some coral so LEDs are presently set to 40%output.
Was going to cut up some cockles to offer on a skewer; have held off as not sure if suitable

OP
OP
Jenz

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look man I don't have a clue about lionfish but.. all fish will eat what they want when they want. When be seems the most active try to get a little meaty food in front of him. Let him adjust. He is a young animal that only know what he has seen. Don't stress him too much. Just try to keep him stable and content.
Thanks heaps for taking the time to reply; am definitely hoping he has an appetite or at least develops one.

OP
OP
Jenz

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply again.
Am going to collect some ghost shrimp today and see if that may work.
Not the best pic but this is a "Zebra Dwarf Lionfish" yes?

IMG_8454.JPG

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a zebra, definitely have to get something live. Even in the best conditions they usually need live when they first come in. Ghost shrimp are best 1st food, peppermint shrimp are an excellent food but may be too large and intimidating for a new addition, they are also pretty elusive. I try to feed my lions a couple of peppermints once a month, but at $4 a whack a little expensive(that's my price from a friend's lfs). Regular feeder guppies are ok as well, you'll need to acclimate them for 1-2 hours to bring them up to salt. if you don't they'll float. If you have a busy freshwater lfs that gets baby mollies turned in that is my 2nd best food choice. You'll want to turn the pumps off; it would have been better had you kept him in a qt tank alone, but it sounds like he's already in the display. Use a rigid air line and herd the food towards the lion and kind of maneuver it around until he can catch it. Try to keep the other fish at bay. It won't take him long once he starts eating to catch the food rather quickly, but at 1st it can be real tricky. Once he's fattened up and settled in you can decide on how you want to proceed on the method of feeding. Dangerous thing is the longer he goes without eating the harder it becomes to get him to eat at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jenz

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to sell my zebra back to the store I got it from after it ate both my designer clowns!
Oops!!
I intend on getting it back to the lfs hopefully before it does that; and when happily eating. This little man is quite tiny so the present clowns are larger than he; the risk is the clown gobies but am hoping the fact that they perch and sleep within the curled head of the toadstool overnight will keep them protected....fingers crossed!!

OP
OP
Jenz

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a zebra, definitely have to get something live. Even in the best conditions they usually need live when they first come in. Ghost shrimp are best 1st food, peppermint shrimp are an excellent food but may be too large and intimidating for a new addition, they are also pretty elusive. I try to feed my lions a couple of peppermints once a month, but at $4 a whack a little expensive(that's my price from a friend's lfs). Regular feeder guppies are ok as well, you'll need to acclimate them for 1-2 hours to bring them up to salt. if you don't they'll float. If you have a busy freshwater lfs that gets baby mollies turned in that is my 2nd best food choice. You'll want to turn the pumps off; it would have been better had you kept him in a qt tank alone, but it sounds like he's already in the display. Use a rigid air line and herd the food towards the lion and kind of maneuver it around until he can catch it. Try to keep the other fish at bay. It won't take him long once he starts eating to catch the food rather quickly, but at 1st it can be real tricky. Once he's fattened up and settled in you can decide on how you want to proceed on the method of feeding. Dangerous thing is the longer he goes without eating the harder it becomes to get him to eat at all.
Thank you for advise.
Am getting ghost shrimp tomorrow and will try with the mollies if he is coasting. Am figuring I am going to need to feed the other inhabitants befor I offer the lion food.
A few of my peppermints are tiny; occasionally they come out when I feed the corals so may also try lure them out when Lion out. Unfortunately atm with exception today he generally is only out when house quiet and pitch black.
Random question with exception of being eaten can FW ghost shrimp survive in a marine aquarium if acclimatised slowly?

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i trained my dwarf by putting live what ever is cheapest fw fish in a small tank net....started with 2 nets same size together so it was closed so the live fish couldn't swim away...once that got the lions attention removed the 2nd net & he'd eat it.....moved from live that way to frozen/live mixed to frozen cut up pieces.Each transition took awhile tho.

OP
OP
Jenz

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i trained my dwarf by putting live what ever is cheapest fw fish in a small tank net....started with 2 nets same size together so it was closed so the live fish couldn't swim away...once that got the lions attention removed the 2nd net & he'd eat it.....moved from live that way to frozen/live mixed to frozen cut up pieces.Each transition took awhile tho.
I appreciate that you described this technique; it seems something I could do

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lions are usually nocturnal at first and feeding after lights out and the other fish are sleeping would be a good idea. If he is shy to eat, acclimating a few ghosties for him to hunt after lights out works a lot of the time. Check his belly in the morning for a bulge to see if he's eaten.

How tiny is tiny, under 2" I've found daily feedings appropiate. They will grow to 4" pretty quickly, he will likely be a threat to the clown gobies in just a matter of weeks.

OP
OP
Jenz

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again all for your replies when I needed the much needed advise. Last 3 days my lion has been MIA and haven't seen him come out at night or hover around the evening meal times. My other fish and family believe I have now become the "crazy lady with the flashlight". Although he didn't take to frozen food he did eat the live food offered, and I believe completely decimated the copepod population in the tank.
I am assuming he is dead, so I wanted to take this time to say that with all your help he far outlived my expectations. Thanks all for that

Back