Lionfish got me today.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some maintenance on my QT tank and my antenata lion was right up at the top begging for food. I'm still not sure what happened, but I must have put my hand over him and he jumped out of the water!!

I looked down and he was on the floor on his belly with his spikes straight up in defense mode. I used 2 nets to scoop him up and put him back in. He's fine and he ate tonight.

Now to me, he got me in 4 spots. I was prepared for this so I ran to the sink and put my hand under the hottest water I could stand for a couple of minutes, it hurt like hell. Then I cleaned it with peroxide and put triple antibiotic on it.

It was throbbing pretty good for a while and after an hour my knuckle started swelling. I put ice on it, but now I feel fine. I have a deeper respect for lions now

IMG_20221126_134847.jpg 16695130981294573941112190025594.jpg 16695132243883168777064912126598.jpg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was stung by foxface years ago …
Hurt like nothing I could ever describe .
messed me up for a few weeks .
the throbbing and swelling took 3 weeks to go away .
I’m sure any women reefers on here will explain the pain of childbirth. If it’s anything like breaking your jaw by hitting the tarmac, off a push bike, yeah.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next time u go to the doctor u might want to ask them about it.
Unlikely they know unless they dive or are near places people dive.

The op did the right thing. Putting an envenomated body part under the hottest water you can stand is the best thing to do. It helps breakdown the protein in the venom. Useful for all marine fish stings lion fish, scorpionfish.

Taking benadryl may help for the antihistamine properties also.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely they know unless they dive or are near places people dive.

The op did the right thing. Putting an envenomated body part under the hottest water you can stand is the best thing to do. It helps breakdown the protein in the venom. Useful for all marine fish stings lion fish, scorpionfish.

Taking benadryl may help for the antihistamine properties also.
Once the swelling went down I wasn't too worried. It was like a bad bee sting. If it got worse I would have done something differently.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure any women reefers on here will explain the pain of childbirth. If it’s anything like breaking your jaw by hitting the tarmac, off a push bike, yeah.
I haven’t been bitten by any fish or coral (touch wood) but giving birth is a whole different kind of pain. It’s impossible to describe and if we weren’t made to erase the memory of it after a while, nobody would do it again and the human race would be extinct.

Giving birth is litterally having your inside tear apart. Not fun.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been bitten by any fish or coral (touch wood) but giving birth is a whole different kind of pain. It’s impossible to describe and if we weren’t made to erase the memory of it after a while, nobody would do it again and the human race would be extinct.

Giving birth is litterally having your inside tear apart. Not fun.
I know it's no where in the ballpark as painful, but if people remembered pain no one would ever get a second tattoo!!

Humans are wired to let painful memories fade.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back