OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week later and it is very itchy. It started seeping because I kept scratching it. Weird how it came back after I thought it was healed.

What a great defense those little fish have.

Attachments

• IMG20221205124208.jpg
    IMG20221205124208.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 29

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably a bit like a tick bite, danged thing kept itching off and on for weeks ...

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week later and it is very itchy. It started seeping because I kept scratching it. Weird how it came back after I thought it was healed.

What a great defense those little fish have.
Might be a sign of a secondary infection. Keep an eye on it for redness and swelling.

They may call themselves Lionfish, but they don't groom themselves well.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think a snake is much worse. Snakes inject venom, lions and foxes just have defensive painful venom.
Rat snakes are non venomous, but snake bite can get really infected do to their needle like teeth and bacteria from their food.

Eels have similar properties and bites can become infected. When I was bit by my black edge moray I went to the doctor immediately for cleaning and antibiotics.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rat snakes are non venomous, but snake bite can get really infected do to their needle like teeth and bacteria from their food.

Eels have similar properties and bites can become infected. When I was bit by my black edge moray I went to the doctor immediately for cleaning and antibiotics.
With python and other large constrictors you also run the risk of their teeth getting stuck in your bones which requires surgical removal or you run the risk of a limb deleting infection. Most people don't realize how big their teeth actually are on pythons they are massive and they bite down with some serious force. A rat snake bite vs a python bite is like comparing a goldfish nibble to a bull shark. Also their should be a sticky about hot water and fish envenomations. I got tagged by a fox face worst pain ever and I've broken several bones in my life time. Thank God for google.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
With python and other large constrictors you also run the risk of their teeth getting stuck in your bones which requires surgical removal or you run the risk of a limb deleting infection. Most people don't realize how big their teeth actually are on pythons they are massive and they bite down with some serious force. A rat snake bite vs a python bite is like comparing a goldfish nibble to a bull shark. Also their should be a sticky about hot water and fish envenomations. I got tagged by a fox face worst pain ever and I've broken several bones in my life time. Thank God for google.
I feel that some people are over concerned about “poisonous fish”. That being said, I also think that many people, my self included don’t take the proper care and protection when working with our tanks. I knew nothing about palytoxins but read up before I fragged for the first time. Wore gloves, mask, and safety glasses. Then another day I was just moving some rocks around and got squirted very near my eyes. Oops!! So now I wear my glasses whenever I’m actually handling any corals.

So yes, there ought to be a sticky placed in a couple of the pages possibly general discussion, general fish, general coral and maybe fish disease. What do you think @revhtree, @Jay Hemdal?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that some people are over concerned about “poisonous fish”. That being said, I also think that many people, my self included don’t take the proper care and protection when working with our tanks. I knew nothing about palytoxins but read up before I fragged for the first time. Wore gloves, mask, and safety glasses. Then another day I was just moving some rocks around and got squirted very near my eyes. Oops!! So now I wear my glasses whenever I’m actually handling any corals.

So yes, there ought to be a sticky placed in a couple of the pages possibly general discussion, general fish, general coral and maybe fish disease. What do you think @revhtree, @Jay Hemdal?

I have a section on aquarium safety in my book, it covers zoonoses and venomous animals. My strong opinion though is I don't give human medical advice - always see your doctor.

As a partner member, you can download a copy of the book as one of the swag items this year......

Jay

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a section on aquarium safety in my book, it covers zoonoses and venomous animals. My strong opinion though is I don't give human medical advice - always see your doctor.

As a partner member, you can download a copy of the book as one of the swag items this year......

Jay
Thanks Jay

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, now that the lionfish has drawn first blood…
I want to say they are supposed to taste good as a delicacy in some places .
after first blood . Im
Done …

my foxface that got me a few years ago was packed in the bucket I could find .
and set sail to the closest lfs .
Don’t ask but yes . I have another one in this system

Back