Lionfish Help

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve managed to nab a 90g tank set up for a steal. One kicker to it is, it comes with a Full grown lion fish. I think they’re beautiful, but I’m not too keen on keeping a predator tank. I really want a simple reef tank, some clown fish, hermit crabs, snails, and cleaner shrimp...

Would there be any way to do so with a lionfish? I think the rule of thumb is don’t put anything in there that’s small enough to fit in it’s mouth otherwise it’ll get eaten.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t want it, you can take it to your lfs and try to get some store credit. You can also let it go into the ocean...please don’t try that lol

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t want it, you can take it to your lfs and try to get some store credit. You can also let it go into the ocean...please don’t try that lol

I thought about letting it into the ocean but my ocean front property here in New Mexico dried up the other day.

On a serious not, I did think about going to my local shop and seeing if they’d take it. They don’t have a ton of room in the shop but maybe they can help out. Or if nothin else maybe know someone that might want it?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic, it really doesn't sound like a lion is going to be a good choice for your tank.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1A0B45CE-F3A5-4174-BC88-771DDC01F885.jpeg

I haven’t gotten it yet but that’s the dude I’m messing with:..

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a volitan and he's going to get much bigger than that, any shrimp will likely be quickly dispatched, and clowns would likely follow. i like the rustic look of the tank. Volitan lions raised on dead food can sometimes live safely with some smaller fish, but it would be a risk. Large maroon clowns but if you wanted some occellaris clowns, I would say no.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m excited to get it moved into my house and set up. I’m not so excited about the lionfish though... I really hope my LFS will take it off my hands even if I don’t get store credit for it.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, met with my LFS today and unfortunately he doesn’t have the room to take this guy off my hands. He made a recommendation which I may go for, but my wife threw me a curve ball and said she might be interested in keeping a predator tank!

Never saw her being interested in that. So now I wonder, what else can I put in there with him? As of now there’s just him and a decent sized urchin in there too. And also a crab that we couldn’t find on my visit today.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90g is a tough tank for a volitan lion, he will eventually grow out of that tank, just to give you an idea, my volitan is a solid 12" and as thick as my forearm. Finding reef safe fish that will be large enough but not too large for a 90g will be challenge. He doesn't look too large at the moment, and once in captivity for a while and eating only dead food, he really isn't going to work too hard for his food. But you do have to be mindful that any additions won't be an instant meal.

A snowflake eel is a good consideration, if you want something a little more exotic, a skeletor. A bristletooth tang, the kole is very popular but I like the tomini, if you can find one big enough and nice enough. Some people will put dwarf angels in their reef, I do not, some say they are hit or miss, so that would be your call, they are cool fish though. A one spot foxface is another one of those risky reef additions that some people have luck with, another one personally I would lean no.

Look around and see what you like; considering coral safe and at least a 4" fish, nothing smaller and slender bodied. A marine betta is a good coral safe predator but can be challenging and are very cryptic for the most part, so not for everyone.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been looking around and about the only thing I can find worth a darn is an eel. My eye keeps going towards reef fish.. clowns, tangs, gobies, maybe a star fish and some pretty anemones and zoa’s..

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's what I was getting at with a volitan in a 90g. The reef fishes are likely not appropriate and larger fish would be too large for the 90. What kind of tang did you see that you liked. Anenome's do take special care, so do your research. Certain starfish do ok, while others will only last a short while, so research the ones your interested in for their care.

I'm a predator guy so I could make a 90g work with a volitan, I also like lightly stocked tanks. I would add a skeletor eel, a mimic tang, and and a harlequin tusk and be very happy. But I know this is not for everyone, don't get caught into settling for a tank you are thrilled with, you will regret it.

If the lion isn't warming up to you, do you have any other options to rehome him.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any options as of now but being that I’m just getting into the hobby, I’m finding out there a few people in town that have tanks too. So maybe I’ll find someone that would take him off my hands. I know there’s a fish store in Lubbock TX, which is and hour and 45 minutes away, that might take him, so that may end up being my only option besides being stuck with him.

I think you’re right; settling for a tank I don’t like would kinda suck. I like predator fish, don’t get me wrong, but, I’m more drawn to reef tanks. And my wife is too I think. She likes the bright yellow and blue tangs and I do too. As well as the crazy colored zoas and other sps corals.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have any corals you want with the lion, a blue tang requires a much larger tank, while yellow tangs could work, and would be fine with the lion.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it slow, do some research on what you are interested in, post some questions here, the Fish Forum gets more traffic than this forum. The lfs and many online sources will greatly underestimate appropriate tank size, Liveaquaria is a good guide for recommended tank sizes. Post compatibilty question in the Fish Forum, there's alot of people here to help. The Reef Forum is a good place to ask about specific coral care, lighting, water parameters, etc. Taking it slow and getting what you like is most important. Don't fall into the beginner fish/corals trap or settle. You will have greater success if you learn about what you like and build your tank with stuff that you have a fascination for.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back