Lionfish issues

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a lion fish from a local pet store where he was trained to eat large pellets. He would spit up krill litterally. All of a sudden he stopped eating doesn’t swim as much. Then today I go buy Ghost shrimp and he eats his dinner. What’s the deal? He was already trained to eat non live food

His skin has been darker and he scratched himself. I treated with prazi it’s not flukes

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a choice between dry oats or freshly cooked fillet mignon, which would you prefer? Of course he'll still prefer live food, most fish do! He'll likely need some time to adjust to new environment, I'd offer both together and then wean over to heavier on the pellets. It's still good to offer him live food occasionally, perhaps frozen shrimp as well

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a lion fish from a local pet store where he was trained to eat large pellets. He would spit up krill litterally. All of a sudden he stopped eating doesn’t swim as much. Then today I go buy Ghost shrimp and he eats his dinner. What’s the deal? He was already trained to eat non live food

His skin has been darker and he scratched himself. I treated with prazi it’s not flukes
If you had a choice between dry oats or freshly cooked fillet mignon, which would you prefer? Of course he'll still prefer live food, most fish do! He'll likely need some time to adjust to new environment, I'd offer both together and then wean over to heavier on the pellets. It's still good to offer him live food occasionally, perhaps frozen shrimp as well
He had never eaten a ghost shrimp in his life. He was litterally weaned on pellets that’s all he ate. So he’s been eating pellets for at least a month or two. That’s was all his nuitrition. One day he just spit it up and hasn’t looked at it since.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He had never eaten a ghost shrimp in his life. He was litterally weaned on pellets that’s all he ate. So he’s been eating pellets for at least a month or two. That’s was all his nuitrition. One day he just spit it up and hasn’t looked at it since.

Attachments

• EF30EE2E-7DAD-4E3D-B83C-04D721799E44.jpeg
    EF30EE2E-7DAD-4E3D-B83C-04D721799E44.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 33

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so either. It's completely normal for fish to be picky eaters when placed in a new environment, just give him time :) . Is that a quarantine tank?

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so either. It's completely normal for fish to be picky eaters when placed in a new environment, just give him time :) . Is that a quarantine tank?
Ya I think I’m going to put him back in the main soon. Hopefully Nothing wrong with him and he will eat non live again

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a lionfish, but have been reading up on their care for several months as I'd like to get one soon. (I also stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night)

I think you will find that most if not all of the people who are truly successful with them feed human quality sea food at a minimum. Wild caught salmon from the fish counter seems to be one food that is nearly universally seen as good. However, the general acceptance seems to be that variety is important so a single food isn't going to work out well for the fish.

There are a few notable people on this forum with considerable lionfish experience that make the case live food is important to include in their diet as well.

I've never seen anyone claim that pellet's alone are good for their long-term success.

Check out the pinned threads in the predatory fish forum. There is a lot of info there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a lionfish, but have been reading up on their care for several months as I'd like to get one soon. (I also stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night)

I think you will find that most if not all of the people who are truly successful with them feed human quality sea food at a minimum. Wild caught salmon from the fish counter seems to be one food that is nearly universally seen as good. However, the general acceptance seems to be that variety is important so a single food isn't going to work out well for the fish.

There are a few notable people on this forum with considerable lionfish experience that make the case live food is important to include in their diet as well.

I've never seen anyone claim that pellet's alone are good for their long-term success.

Check out the pinned threads in the predatory fish forum. There is a lot of info there.
I agree. I just got him.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you were getting special made pellets, pellets are a terrible food; why should one feed aquatic life soy, wheat, and other various grain meal products. He stopped eating the pellets because they were not providing the nutrition he needed, this is very classic lionfish behavior. Lionfish will die prematurely due to a diet high in thiaminese and lacking in other nutritional requirements. He was eating the pellets for survival and if his diet isn't changed, he will die. If you are interested here's a thread with some suggestions for healthy dead foods to feed lionfish.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you were getting special made pellets, pellets are a terrible food; why should one feed aquatic life soy, wheat, and other various grain meal products. He stopped eating the pellets because they were not providing the nutrition he needed, this is very classic lionfish behavior. Lionfish will die prematurely due to a diet high in thiaminese and lacking in other nutritional requirements. He was eating the pellets for survival and if his diet isn't changed, he will die. If you are interested here's a thread with some suggestions for healthy dead foods to feed lionfish.

I keep hearing any live food is bad for them. Are anytype of freshwater mollies good for them?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hearing any live food is bad for them. Are anytype of freshwater mollies good for them?

What species of lionfish do you have, the dwarf and medium bodied lions may do better and is sometimes necessary to include live foods. The volitans most times will accept a variety of dead foods and will live a long life. Here's a thread on live foods, if you click my name and "find all threads" you find tons of info on lions and other predators.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of lionfish do you have, the dwarf and medium bodied lions may do better and is sometimes necessary to include live foods. The volitans most times will accept a variety of dead foods and will live a long life. Here's a thread on live foods, if you click my name and "find all threads" you find tons of info on lions and other predators.

Volitan two actually. I just wanted to have some fun with live foods but didn’t know which would be best. But Live foods scare me because it’s not always easy to judge how big a fish he can gulp down. I’ve killed one at least because the fish ate a bigger mollie.

Btw you were right about the pellets! He ate a silverside this morning!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large volitan lionfish. When I first got it three years ago, I had to start it off with freshwater minnows as it wouldn’t eat dead food. I had a separate tank just for them. After about two to three months I tried silversides split up into smaller chunks. It took to frozen food since. Now it eats silversides (cut up), clams, mussels, and scallops. Basically everything. I let the food soak in vitamins for 10 minutes before feeding. The lion is about a foot long now.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like above have stated its a killing machine Dry pellet or steak you know the answer. It has it naturally built into it to kill live prey. Over time you can change it over to frozen and pellets.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large volitan lionfish. When I first got it three years ago, I had to start it off with freshwater minnows as it wouldn’t eat dead food. I had a separate tank just for them. After about two to three months I tried silversides split up into smaller chunks. It took to frozen food since. Now it eats silversides (cut up), clams, mussels, and scallops. Basically everything. I let the food soak in vitamins for 10 minutes before feeding. The lion is about a foot long now.
Vita Chem?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back