OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t matter if he was raised on pellets. The fish has instincts for meaty foods and will prefer them especially after giving them a try
328EDA31-907E-4EFA-9554-77A43FE51629.jpeg 9BFEB581-7F7E-43D5-9972-FE126FE4419E.jpeg

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of lionfish do you have, the dwarf and medium bodied lions may do better and is sometimes necessary to include live foods. The volitans most times will accept a variety of dead foods and will live a long life. Here's a thread on live foods, if you click my name and "find all threads" you find tons of info on lions and other predators.

Now he’s spitting up silversides I literally couldn’t make the piece smaller. Krill as well gets spit out But he’s eating squid. Salmon is next on the list. . He must just struggle to eat. He was in copper at the lfs for multiple weeks. So who knows how long he will live.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now he’s spitting up silversides I literally couldn’t make the piece smaller. Krill as well gets spit out But he’s eating squid. Salmon is next on the list. . He must just struggle to eat. He was in copper at the lfs for multiple weeks. So who knows how long he will live.

If you have read any of my threads, my 1st advice is to not buy lionfish from sources running copper. While the experts on this board challenge me on this issue, every lion I have seen exposed to copper do not do well. Other causes of regurgitation could be over feeding, and this also means feeding too often. Once settled, depending on their size, feeding should be approximately twice a week. Maintaining at least reef level of mg and even boosting as high as 1600ppm can help with digestion. While it usually takes more time to suffer from nutritional deficiencies and/or thiaminese poisoning, which causes a vit B1 deficiency; this also can cause regurgitation. If you are able to, providing live food could help to rebuild his nutritional stores. Then limit shrimp and krill, I do not recommend krill at all. These contain a high amount of thiaminese, which leads back to a nutritional deficiency.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have read any of my threads, my 1st advice is to not buy lionfish from sources running copper. While the experts on this board challenge me on this issue, every lion I have seen exposed to copper do not do well. Other causes of regurgitation could be over feeding, and this also means feeding too often. Once settled, depending on their size, feeding should be approximately twice a week. Maintaining at least reef level of mg and even boosting as high as 1600ppm can help with digestion. While it usually takes more time to suffer from nutritional deficiencies and/or thiaminese poisoning, which causes a vit B1 deficiency; this also can cause regurgitation. If you are able to, providing live food could help to rebuild his nutritional stores. Then limit shrimp and krill, I do not recommend krill at all. These contain a high amount of thiaminese, which leads back to a nutritional deficiency.
He eats salmon, scallops and squid with no issues. But a piece of silverside or krilll nope. Interesting. I read your piece after I bought the fish. You have been great thank you so much

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question my friend. Hyposalinity is the only treatment for ich on Lionfish correct?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back