Lionfish not eating

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lionfish has stopped eating from a week, I hv tried all sorts of foods. It is living alone in a 75 g tank. I hv noticed that it is shedding from more than a week. It also has developed white pimples like things on it's face. I know some volitans hv them but I am sure it doesn't hv these before.
IMG-20230922-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230922-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20230922-WA0001.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My lionfish has stopped eating from a week, I hv tried all sorts of foods. It is living alone in a 75 g tank. I hv noticed that it is shedding from more than a week. It also has developed white pimples like things on it's face. I know some volitans hv them but I am sure it doesn't hv these before.
IMG-20230922-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230922-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20230922-WA0001.jpg
Its hard to tell disease on this fish unless prominent and best bet is to quarantine and treat with coppersafe at 2.2-2.25 or with general cure
Is fish breathing normal or heavy?

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell disease on this fish unless prominent and best bet is to quarantine and treat with coppersafe at 2.2-2.25 or with general cure
It's breathing normal till now. Few minutes ago,It ate only 1 molly and it's eating speed was really low like it has some digestion issues. I am keeping 5 mollies in my sump and trying daily

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These shrimps dart around so its motion is different than mollies so that may be more attention catching. They are also quite affordable & easy to find.
It's hard to find here. I will surely try to find them tommorow

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's alone in the tank is I may treat it in the dt. Is that white pimples like things ok? Those were not there before

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's alone in the tank is I may treat it in the dt. Is that white pimples like things ok? Those were not there before
I saw them and pics fuzzy but can be marine ich why I recommended the copper or GC. GC will cover a few other scenarios whereas copper will address ich Assuming its parasitical.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw them and pics fuzzy but can be marine ich why I recommended the copper or GC. GC will cover a few other scenarios whereas copper will address ich Assuming its parasitical.
Those spots looks large white like normal that normal lionfish usually have. It used to hv that on body but now it is formed on it's face. It was my last addition and I hv not added anything new after it. Still, I will surely treat with copper

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has been 6-7 months and nothing was added since, it is unlikely it is disease, although ich can be hiding in many tanks. Please do not use any copper related medications or any of the cure all meds many recommend. Whether you agree or want to hear, liver damage almost always occur from these meds. Even ick would be unlikely because it would have had to have a blood host, and the shedding ability makes it very hard to attach to a healthy lion.

Check water parameters and make sure there had been no ammonia spike. Raising mg to 1600ppm can address many digestive issues.

How often and what have they been eating, not eating for a week is really not long for a lion, especially if they have been fed too frequently. This is also where mg helps. This 6-7 month metric is where issues arise from pre-existing chemical poisoning, yes including coming from sources that use copper. As well as dietary deficiencies arising from a diet high in thiaminese and/or too low in proper fats.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has been 6-7 months and nothing was added since, it is unlikely it is disease, although ich can be hiding in many tanks. Please do not use any copper related medications or any of the cure all meds many recommend. Whether you agree or want to hear, liver damage almost always occur from these meds. Even ick would be unlikely because it would have had to have a blood host, and the shedding ability makes it very hard to attach to a healthy lion.

Check water parameters and make sure there had been no ammonia spike. Raising mg to 1600ppm can address many digestive issues.

How often and what have they been eating, not eating for a week is really not long for a lion, especially if they have been fed too frequently. This is also where mg helps. This 6-7 month metric is where issues arise from pre-existing chemical poisoning, yes including coming from sources that use copper. As well as dietary deficiencies arising from a diet high in thiaminese and/or too low in proper fats.
Can it be coz of shedding? It is shedding heavily from a week. Ammonia is at 0.2(I had done a 60 percent water change to lower it down 1 month ago). It's eating speed is giving me a worry. It took 5 min for it to go after a molly and it left other mollies after that

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia will cause shedding, this can the cause. If will also cause the lack luster feeding response. This could be your issue. How could you get an ammonia spike like that in an established tank.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia will cause shedding, this can the cause. If will also cause the lack luster feeding response. This could be your issue. How could you get an ammonia spike like that in an established tank.
I hv done 60 percent water change 1 month ago after that it was ok. It is having this issue from a week. It was eating well. I usually feed it 2 times a week but it used to do that begging behaviour which it is not doing. It used to stop eating before also but it usually comes within a week. Good thing is I still have those mollies so I will be putting them back in the tank regularly.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those were not salt water mollies I hope, if they were from a salt water source then yes, there could have been an introduction of disease. Blac mollies you would ick ver clearly. But if you got them from a fresh water source, then very unlikely.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those were not salt water mollies I hope, if they were from a salt water source then yes, there could have been an introduction of disease. Blac mollies you would ick ver clearly. But if you got them from a fresh water source, then very unlikely.
Nope those were from fw source. They actually r living in sump:grinning-face-with-sweat:. I thought they will die but they survived for a long time

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope those were from fw source. They actually r living in sump:grinning-face-with-sweat:. I thought they will die but they survived for a long time

Another indicator that it is likely not a disease, they would have gone first. They can actually breed in full salt, if they have some cover you may start finding small ones, other wise the babies get eaten.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back