Lionfish Stinging Other Fish

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to find information on the signs and simptoms of a fish having been stung by a lionfish, but it's pretty scarce.
Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with this? Trying to figure out if this may have been the cause of death in two of my fish, or if I can recognize the signs in the future.
Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does happen but rarely, it happens when the lion is protecting himself from a bully or accidentally during a feeding frenzy. Most times stings are superficial and symptoms would be lethargy. They do not attack but if warding off a violent attack, the spikes would likely puncture deeply and you would see the wound. In this case it may and mostly kills the other fish, but you would see the puncture wounds. It becomes deadly when the spikes hit the organs, a surface prick will not kill, and it does have to be a substantial fight for it to escalate to the lion killing.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it unless the fish were big enough to fit the lion fish in their mouths. Lion fish spines are used for protection not a weapon.
It does happen but rarely, it happens when the lion is protecting himself from a bully or accidentally during a feeding frenzy. Most times stings are superficial and symptoms would be lethargy. They do not attack but if warding off a violent attack, the spikes would likely puncture deeply and you would see the wound. In this case it may and mostly kills the other fish, but you would see the puncture wounds. It becomes deadly when the spikes hit the organs, a surface prick will not kill, and it does have to be a substantial fight for it to escalate to the lion killing.
Like the others said its rather unlikely without an intense aggressor situation, If your thinking it was the venom this is even more unlikely as their venom is defensive- this means its meant to do one thing- Inflict as much pain as possible so whatever touches it never has the desire to do so again. I would suspect signs in fish would simply be panic and spazzing from the discomfort but thats entirely speculation.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks everyone for the input. I didn't think this was the case, but wanted to rule out any possibilities.

While we're on the subject of lion stings, how is it for people, if anyone knows? I've read it's much like a bee sting to a person.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks everyone for the input. I didn't think this was the case, but wanted to rule out any possibilities.

While we're on the subject of lion stings, how is it for people, if anyone knows? I've read it's much like a bee sting to a person.
I received a mild envenomation from a 16-18 inch deceased P.volitans I shot in St. Kitts and Nevis where they are an invasive species. I had moderate throbbing/burning for a few hours but nothing to write home about but definitely more intense than a bee or wasp sting (the North American ones anyway)

I received a sting from freshwater catfish at the pet store I used to work at (Synodontis eupterus) and that very common aquarium fish gave me sting I'll never forget. Of all the bites and stings I've gotten that one still reins supreme, it felt like some had driven a red hot pin through my finger and left it there for 2 hours until it slowly dulled into a throbbing pain.

Everyone reacts very differently to venom though and whenever working with any venomous animal its best to have an epipen on hand because you could always be allergic to the venom, even if you had a mild reaction the first time a second sting from the same animal could still cause an allergic reaction. Not trying to scare you or anything but not respecting venom is a poor choice.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pain is relative and most people do not need medical attention, but if you are prone to anaphylaxis it is likely not a good idea to keep a lionfish. Just make sure you know where he is when your hands are in the tank, and if he puts his head down and points his spikes toward you, get out. Haha, mine are so friendly they come right up to me and have brush against me many times, if you get stung you are just not paying attention.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pain is relative and most people do not need medical attention, but if you are prone to anaphylaxis it is likely not a good idea to keep a lionfish. Just make sure you know where he is when your hands are in the tank, and if he puts his head down and points his spikes toward you, get out. Haha, mine are so friendly they come right up to me and have brush against me many times, if you get stung you are just not paying attention.

Thanks. No anaphylaxis, so I'm good. I wish mine was that friendly. It swims away from my hand in the tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 76 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 76 29.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.2%
Back