OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m into full positive mass production they could ask for some mass back if they wanted and were willing to pay shipping. My frags came from other frags but legit my live rock was pried out somewhere. I wouldn’t trade it for a small gold piece but I would for a large one.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now in the fish forum a person who inputs fish from pet store right and left loses them after a week or so. Some survive, new ones die

I’m relaying it as disease, others think it’s free ammonia. The tank is fully cycled and has the common rocks and sand.

I have to link the fish disease forum to show posters how the non quarantine crew don’t have any work threads for tanks other than their own and how that’s different than what we see in the disease forum-Jays tanks doing fine he spends time working in others tanks.

it seems mean of me to always insert this kickback and repetitive link to fish disease forum, but I’m shaping practice with each chop into what I think gets the most public return on investment. And I want non quarantiners to refine practices such that the method can withstand patterning from public work threads, it’s not a tall order to request. Clearly they’re onto something, hundreds of prime aged reefs here didn’t quarantine

but *thousands* post for disease help, check the forum energy level for fish disease see if I’m off base.

ergo, what works for one masters tank vs what someone can do for others, and log the results plainly, is controversial dueling battles at all times when it comes to ideal means of housing captive marine fish.

Last edited:

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys put that much effort in?

For coral I dip, temp, in. Legitimately never had issues, but to be fair, I really don't have an interest in keeping more touchy stuff. If it can't hold its own and have a will to live, it doesn't have a place in my tanks
lol not corals - thats what i do for fish. For corals I dip, temp acclimate, then in.

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now in the fish forum a person who inputs fish from pet store right and left loses them after a week or so. Some survive, new ones die

I’m relaying it as disease, others think it’s free ammonia. The tank is fully cycled and has the common rocks and sand.

I have to link the fish disease forum to show posters how the non quarantine crew don’t have any work threads for tanks other than their own and how that’s different than what we see in the disease forum-Jays tanks doing fine he spends time working in others tanks.

it seems mean of me to always insert this kickback and repetitive link to fish disease forum, but I’m shaping practice with each chop into what I think gets the most public return on investment. And I want non quarantiners to refine practices such that the method can withstand patterning from public work threads, it’s not a tall order to request. Clearly they’re onto something, hundreds of prime aged reefs here didn’t quarantine

but *thousands* post for disease help, check the forum energy level for fish disease see if I’m off base.

ergo, what works for one masters tank vs what someone can do for others, and log the results plainly, is controversial dueling battles at all times when it comes to ideal means of housing captive marine fish.
I've bought fish from petco, liveaquaria, tsm, lfs. Never quarantined fish, corals, or inverts, never had a fish or invert have any disease. Had a Lobo have BJD, moved it to lower PAR and it recovered. I have an aquabiomics test on the way. Will be interesting to see.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boacvh agreed we all justify that to ourselves with the best systems but its not hard to imagine how someone from the outside can easily hate the practice, these boxes are small. even the seventeen thousand gallon one

it is not easy to justify keeping fish in boxes that could possibly be a new #1, thinking outside the hobby scope yes

But keeping coral in them> sorry to all critics we're growing so much + coral mass that we might be needed to offer actual corals back to real reefs one day, cannot knock coral production at home as nature isn't currently pulling it off in all areas.

I literally throw dinner plate totals of red montipora in the trash because nobody wants unattached broke off whorls I needed to make space in the tank. I literally have more sps than I can handle all from a chip the size of a thumbnail, they'll need to get out their notepads vs critique

but fish keepers? ya'll are on the hook for that one lol not a pico reefer's problem. great call I think it might should be #1
what if we were producing endangered florida staghorn to the degree it could be considered throwaway mass

a common brown acro? not hard. we could grow them in the same mason jars the moonshiners use.
The thing about the fish debate should also take into account aquacultured/captive-bred fish. Its not perfect but it’s improving resulting in less reliance on collecting wild stocks. It also depends on what fish we are talking about. A clown? A damsel? I don’t see how keeping them in captivity in general is worse than leaving them in the wild.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boacvh agreed we all justify that to ourselves with the best systems but its not hard to imagine how someone from the outside can easily hate the practice, these boxes are small. even the seventeen thousand gallon one

it is not easy to justify keeping fish in boxes that could possibly be a new #1, thinking outside the hobby scope yes

But keeping coral in them> sorry to all critics we're growing so much + coral mass that we might be needed to offer actual corals back to real reefs one day, cannot knock coral production at home as nature isn't currently pulling it off in all areas.

I literally throw dinner plate totals of red montipora in the trash because nobody wants unattached broke off whorls I needed to make space in the tank. I literally have more sps than I can handle all from a chip the size of a thumbnail, they'll need to get out their notepads vs critique

but fish keepers? ya'll are on the hook for that one lol not a pico reefer's problem. great call I think it might should be #1
what if we were producing endangered florida staghorn to the degree it could be considered throwaway mass

a common brown acro? not hard. we could grow them in the same mason jars the moonshiners use.
Can I send you my address so you can send me some?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was careful to write dinner plate totals because it’s often quarter sized culls lol. Such as this one, it’s angling down and in about three months will begin blocking the brain behind it. If you want the chip I’ll send it to you in a drinking water bottle ark but it doesnt seem worth the effort for such a tiny chip. Nickel-sized tosses
image.jpg

my corals are glued on trash plastic cut strips from the alley stuck to magnets lol it’s urban recycling. It’s literally an oscar the grouch reef.

frags from that colony back 2017 traded out at the lfs for freshwater fish.
5CE13759-F3EE-4F40-BE59-A47702064AD5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that paints us pretty rough. even though they hate us Im not sure their fish loss claims are far off from the truth whatsoever. we're actually producing coral though, im ten years into positive biomass and no consumption of new. those are frags of frags of frags.

lol possibly the fungiid came directly from the ocean. he likes it in here better I’m sure, the ocean has twenty bazillion fungiids to share.

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I've been waiting for Oscar the grouch to greet me for awhile now. Ive literally incorporated just about everything except for kitchen sink into my reef build. Including an old trash basket being used as shield that used to sit under the kitchen sink haha.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While "controversial" is in the eye of the beholder, I'd have these on a list:

iodine
strontium
products that claim to boost pH and not alkalinity (e.g., Brightwell Boost pH +)
products claiming to boost alkalinity and calcium that are fine aragonite sand (e.g., Aragamight, Purple Up)
products that claim to control trace elements at specific levels (e.g., Sealab 28)
obscure trace elements such as rubidium and barium

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for posting Randy some of those have been around decades in practice its amazing that former go-to’s didn’t work out for long term scrutiny

i did buy sealab additives in the 90s for sure, glad systems didn’t collapse when ceased dosing it ~

LRT

Back in the day many would have assumed mostly that any transference of use would contaminate

in fact when I get a used gatorade bottle from the alley for trash strips I’m thinking man, what if there was ddt in this

or someone’s breaking bad double aa battery extract for the purposes of bad

and then I’m like man just use the empty bottle it formerly held gatorade most likely so glad no contams yet. Kitchen uses are much safer bet than my random selections wedged behind a dumpster lol

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know this was a thing. I'm an electrical engineer and if there are stay currents in the water, the fish are oblivious to them. You have to be grounded to experience the effects. Its like an airplane in flight being struck by lighting (which happens WAY MORE than you know) or a bird on a wire. No affect.

No effect? Look deeper.

Electrofishing is well established and many experiments and simulatations show how fish respond to electric fields and currents:

For example:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back