OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boacvh agreed we all justify that to ourselves with the best systems but its not hard to imagine how someone from the outside can easily hate the practice, these boxes are small. even the seventeen thousand gallon one

it is not easy to justify keeping fish in boxes that could possibly be a new #1, thinking outside the hobby scope yes

But keeping coral in them> sorry to all critics we're growing so much + coral mass that we might be needed to offer actual corals back to real reefs one day, cannot knock coral production at home as nature isn't currently pulling it off in all areas.

I literally throw dinner plate totals of red montipora in the trash because nobody wants unattached broke off whorls I needed to make space in the tank. I literally have more sps than I can handle all from a chip the size of a thumbnail, they'll need to get out their notepads vs critique

but fish keepers? ya'll are on the hook for that one lol not a pico reefer's problem. great call I think it might should be #1
what if we were producing endangered florida staghorn to the degree it could be considered throwaway mass

a common brown acro? not hard. we could grow them in the same mason jars the moonshiners use.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to go edit and bump mine down now to 2 and 3 until a more enlightening perspective is posted, I do think fish at all is legit.

keeping fish at all is controversial but only to those outside the hobby, inside the hobby I see it as anyone who meets basic prep and study criteria for beginning has just as much right to learn about marine organisms and try and contribute one day back to helping them as any phd

Last edited:

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The moral dilemma discussion of keeping fish in a box seems to get hundreds of pages every time it is mentioned
I don't know about you, but I saved my fish from being eaten by a larger fish. I feel just fine about that.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about you, but I saved my fish from being eaten by a larger fish. I feel just fine about that.
Ditto. Mine enjoy a lifetime of Spa treatment after I rescued them from horrible predators :)

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, not sure that most of the things folks have mentioned are actually controversial practices. What salt one chooses is simply a choice. Now, if somebody claimed to be keeping inverts using table salt; well, that'd be controversial. Seems to me that the QT/no-QT gets a lot of debate (thought here are nuances to the debate), as does (well, maybe used to) damsel cycling a tank. More recently the scrubbing bubbles thing struck me as controversial .... actually struck me as idiotic, but I try to be understanding. Also the skimmer must match the return pump myth that never survives any actual logic but persists regardless.
To help you understand what controversy means, I pulled up the definition:

controversy, which is a prolonged dispute, debate, or state of contention, especially one that unfolds in public and involves a stark difference of opinion.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's still a time we use tap water in reefing, and always will

sandbed rinsing :) which is for sure in itself a ranking offense.

the reason we will always use tap water in our tank transfer thread/fifty pages is because nobody has a fifty page/500 reef tank transfer thread not using tap water as the rinse, or without rinsing at all. before a better option can be said Ill need to see a link.

because tap water rinsing of a sandbed before moving it over to a new tank is the only roadmap on file, we ought to keep up the standard is how I see it.

why tap vs ro/di or saltwater for rinsing sand, and why even rinse sand in the first place?

because if anyone tries to assemble a rinse-free old sand moved tank transfer thread they'll kill thousands of dollars of other people's money. we realize it always works for someone's single system at home, but the detail is in what works for the masses. and in a tank transfer thread where a thousand reef tanks gather to initiate a move, if someone loses their reef its embarrassing

so, enter the rinse. its the only way to streamline entrants in a tank transfer/home move help thread (because rinsing ejects all detritus waste, the locus of concern...clean new reefs using the same rocks from prior do not recycle, ever)

now that we can see a rinse is required, what cha going to use on a 200 gallon system with 150 pounds of stinky sand? ro and salt water $ and run out, midway, causing a partial rinse which is worse than giving it no go at all.

tap is endless

we can drink it too, its not like nuclear sludge. we can use it briefly to eject all waste. final rinse in ro or salt If ocd about the matter, but either way a massive segment of hobbyists will continue using tap water especially if they want a reef that doesn't do this for ten days upon setup, even if they use completely new sand.

tap rinse all your sand before adding it, the only exception is TBS true live sand.

the reason we rinse caribsea sand even though the label says its not required is because:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/so-i-didnt-rinse.592624/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sandbed-stirred-up.544852/#post-5723606

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/very-cloudy-water-after-sand-and-rock.559386/#post-5735864
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/question-about-vacuuming-sand-bed.616059/ https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-tank-milky-cloudy.616519/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cloudy-tank.576835/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bummer-could-use-some-help.558301/

the reason we rinse old sand when moving or upgrading is because that's the only way one can run a work thread on the matter. its the only safe move method for the masses.

Last edited:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Allied to #1, shipping fish in the mail.

Using chemical filtration (e.g. purigen/chemipure) as a matter of course without establishing if it is necessary or not.

Trying to correct problems by adding chemicals.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000% controversial in 2011 and still a source of unspoken concern for fifteen thousand reefers. Peroxide, the bubbly.

thankfully, in the nick of time Jon Malkerson ran a test

so it turns out adding peroxide to a reef tank temporarily boosts filtration efficiency.

its ok if old reef tank rules were totally made up and baseless, we're just getting out of the stuck cycle/you need to buy more stuff phase in the hobby. we'll have that fixed by spring of '27 bet.

please allow me to assemble a brief list of the entities already on record claiming peroxide harms bacteria in a reef tank:

-any forum mod that has existed on earth.

-every reader of a peroxide post that has existed or will exist.

-literally any person posting on a forum who's had a science job at one point or currently in life is the absolute authority on peroxide effects on bacteria in a reef tank.

but then there's seneye, seneye is showing several old reefing rules to be bunk.

Last edited:

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controversial topic: Welcoming and seeking out reef “pests.” Never washing/dipping coral/ other organisms for the hitchhikers. It used to be something people paid a lot of money for, now it’s nearly impossible to obtain the funky freeloading hitchhikers. Makes building a true ecosystem in the tank a pain in the ****, unless you live near the beach and can collect your own aquatic fantastic freaks that hardly anyone knows or understands anything about... given that you don’t destroy and decimate the original wild ecosystem to do so.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controversial topic: Welcoming and seeking out reef “pests.” Never washing/dipping coral/ other organisms for the hitchhikers. It used to be something people paid a lot of money for, now it’s nearly impossible to obtain the funky freeloading hitchhikers. Makes building a true ecosystem in the tank a pain in the ****, unless you live near the beach and can collect your own aquatic fantastic freaks that hardly anyone knows or understands anything about... given that you don’t destroy and decimate the original wild ecosystem to do so.
I would argue that people pay a lot of money for these "pests" still. A few months back I dropped a large chunk of change on bristleworms, mama mias and others. The dry rock trend needs to end lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help you understand what controversy means, I pulled up the definition:

controversy, which is a prolonged dispute, debate, or state of contention, especially one that unfolds in public and involves a stark difference of opinion.
Gee thanks .....

If you think switching salt mixes rises to the level of a controversial practice, good for you: I do not. By that same interpretation, deciding on a tank size, which fish to get next, how to size an UV ...... just gives me a headache. Not sure that's what the OP had in mind. But, hey, a literal interpretation is fine, just not the way I think.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are nitrates as bad as everybody says.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back