Question About Vacuuming Sand Bed

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first put in my live sand I did not rinse it like I have read some people do on here. There was a significant amount of dust that clouded up the tank for a couple of days and clouds it up whenever I disturb the sand. I have been using a tank vac to sift through the sand a couple times a month, but the dust that gets created stays in the tank and I just filter out the fish poop and other detritus in the sand.

I did my first large water change yesterday and decided to vacuum the sand and a lot of the cloudy stuff came along with the detritus. I was just wondering if that cloudy stuff is actually good and I should keep it in the tank or is it OK to remove it whenever I do a water change? This may be a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure I am not getting rid of anything good, (since it came with the sand in the first place) by removing it.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ok as long as you and your inhabitants can tolerate it. If it’s a really serious sand cloud I would be wary. That’s one reason I don’t do gravel washes. I also believe that a lot of good stuff lives in my sand bed that I prefer not to suck out. I have had tanks for a long time and never do gravel washes.

Nicholas Scelzi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you use the vaccuum to do a water change... what your kicking up creating the cloudy look is actually some of the sand itself (this is nothing to worry about and a little cloudiness after a water change is perfectly normal and the sand will settle usually in a few hours / a day)

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sand generally says not to rinse it. So long as you don't have a star fish or anything that eats the stuff in the sand, you shouldn't have a problem with sucking it out with water changes. I'm not certain how long your tank has been set up, but I wouldn't suck anything up until it is completely cycled.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my substrate with live sand on Sunday and was told not to rinse it since that would get rid of the bacteria, etc.

For future reference, the vast majority of our bacteria is in the rocks.

Rinsing sand will have little to no impact on bacteria population.

Also bacteria reproduces fast. Any depletion will be quickly repopulated.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sand generally says not to rinse it. So long as you don't have a star fish or anything that eats the stuff in the sand, you shouldn't have a problem with sucking it out with water changes. I'm not certain how long your tank has been set up, but I wouldn't suck anything up until it is completely cycled.

It has been up and running for about three months now. Cycle completed a while ago.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I have been doing smaller water changes off and on, but this was the first big one, (about 25%).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ok as long as you and your inhabitants can tolerate it. If it’s a really serious sand cloud I would be wary. That’s one reason I don’t do gravel washes. I also believe that a lot of good stuff lives in my sand bed that I prefer not to suck out. I have had tanks for a long time and never do gravel washes.

The "good stuff" is what I am worried about getting rid of. I have planted tanks and never vacuum because the substrate contains "good stuff" for the plants.

The problem I have is that I can not have a traditional CUC since I have a Harlequin Tusk so I need to clean the sand myself. I just don't want to be getting rid of anything beneficial to the tank.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "good stuff" is what I am worried about getting rid of. I have planted tanks and never vacuum because the substrate contains "good stuff" for the plants.

The problem I have is that I can not have a traditional CUC since I have a Harlequin Tusk so I need to clean the sand myself. I just don't want to be getting rid of anything beneficial to the tank.
Wow.... then you’re stuck. That’s the reason I don’t have a tusk! Do they eat snails too? I thought just hermits.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... then you’re stuck. That’s the reason I don’t have a tusk! Do they eat snails too? I thought just hermits.

He hasn't touched any of my large Turbo Snails yet, but they seem to be pretty useless for the sand bed. They hang out on the glass and rock mostly. I did get a couple of Conchs, but they will be in QT for a couple months so they wont be any help for now. :(

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES.. a sandbed thread (getting popcorn)

fight.gif

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try nessarius too. They are great in the sand bed.
Yeah, I was looking for some, but I cannot find any local shops that have any and when I've looked online they have been sold out. I will check again later today though.

On a side note: the Tusk is absolutely worth the hassle of having to find alternative ways to manage clean up without crabs and shrimp. He is quickly becoming my favorite fish.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sandbeds are the best and vacuuming them is just plain silly!

If you want a sandbed then get the stuff that vacuums or stirs it up for you. There is a massive thread on here about removing and rinsing sandbed. I am sure we will see it's owner here soon ;)

any tank 40g or bigger has to have some sort of creature, fish or shrimp or combo, that moves sand around. It is a must to have nass snails for the same reason.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the stuff you are removing is the feed for some of the worst tank invasions we have currently running.

its neutral now, though.

Removing it wont be harmful, leaving it in could be, depending on sourcing of frags animals etc.

Your tank can endure power outages much better with a clean sandbed vs a dirty one, for sure. wastewater plants use a certain measure of that ability called BOD rating to control how fast production works within the feed plant...handy stuff to know about excessive aerobic bac. too much of them saps your free oxygen in the system at critical times

its not harmful initially to keep, there are thousands of dirty systems out there running fine coral. just don't touch, move, relocate, upgrade or downgrade without knowing how to implement skip cycle surgery :) and don't have rock stacks fall over once the system gets old and packed with coral.

Few systems age far enough for the detritus loading to really add up to problems, they're usually moved or taken down before they hit years old with same fish loading/feed/waste all in place. Its easy to recommend full hands off mode for young tanks, but for tanks that need extra careful planning or are aged/old we have really safe ways of keeping them alive forever solely by keeping things clean and not full of waste.

I myself once kept a deep sand bed uncleaned for nine years documented on threads, it only got cruddy toward the end and I cleaned/replaced it all. It was a liability that time if the rocks fell or it got mixed up somehow during cleaning, but I was running it a long time on purpose to see what happened.

now its just deep cleaned occasionally, runs safer and better that way. I did have a power outage recently and appreciated that extra hedge.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first put in my live sand I did not rinse it like I have read some people do on here. There was a significant amount of dust that clouded up the tank for a couple of days and clouds it up whenever I disturb the sand. I have been using a tank vac to sift through the sand a couple times a month, but the dust that gets created stays in the tank and I just filter out the fish poop and other detritus in the sand.

I did my first large water change yesterday and decided to vacuum the sand and a lot of the cloudy stuff came along with the detritus. I was just wondering if that cloudy stuff is actually good and I should keep it in the tank or is it OK to remove it whenever I do a water change? This may be a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure I am not getting rid of anything good, (since it came with the sand in the first place) by removing it.

Can you get a Diamond Goby?
Your tank will look like a sandstorm... :eek: for awhile, but the silt will free up and get out, with one of those.

The Python No Spill will do the job too.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/python-no-spill-water-change-system.html
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/no-spill-clean-fill-replacement-gravel-tubes-python.html

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back