Controversial fish in LFSs?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue is a lot of Tilefish species aren't suitable for the average Reef Tank. In the wild, they're all found in deeper waters in flat terrain where they like to make burrows similar to a jawfish and usually live in pairs. Bright lighting, high flow (like in an SPS environment), and lots of rock structures aren't their thing and usually why they stress out a lot. They're also just very skiddish and jumpy in nature, especially the Purple tiles.
Ironically Elliot Lim from Marine Collectors says that in his experience, the Oreni is the most calm of all the species he's worked with which is surprising but nice to hear the most expensive species for once is the LEAST likely to Carpet surf lol
Mine is very personable and never shy. One of the few that hand feed. Though I forget what species it is…

IMG_4623.jpeg

Edit: it’s the dusky tilefish, H cuniculus

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my books, Maori/ Humphead are synonymous. Yes, they use C. undulatus as scientific name for both. It is a shame though that they would bring in such a fish. They claim to be an environmentally forward store.
Very disappointing. I’d be tempted to ask how they managed to acquire it legally and if they are aware they can grow to several feet and have a very low and concerning population.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very disappointing I’d be tempted to ask how they managed to acquire it legally and if they are aware they can grow to several feet and have a very low and concerning population.
My curiosity is piqued. I may drive the 15 miles to see it and possibly get a picture.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back