Literally WHY you should not buy fish you can't keep forever...

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200509_184538.jpg

The villian... incarcerated until I find a suitable relocation option.
20200509_185348.jpg

Aurora goby...I thought one was killed last night, put these guys in thinking the Hogfish wouldn't bother them...brutal attack, but I did see both of them out last night.
20200509_185326.jpg

One of the little Wheeler gobies. There are 2 as well (I am like Noah's ark lol) Hogfish was going after these guy in the bag while I was acclimating them...I assume because they look like tiny pistol shrimp. His favorite thing to eat!
20200509_185615.jpg

The best for last...got a group of 5 Bartlett anthias! They are so beautiful, eating like pigs. Now that the beast is caught, I will pick up 2 Sunburst anthias and 2 female flame wrasses, once they finish quarantine. They replace the lyretails and adult male flame wrasse (he started out the most beautiful female) El Jerko killed. I am so excited to have fish again!

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending hours chasing fish, I finally found the solution.

Drain the tank, catch the fish, refill the tank.

It only sounds extreme until youve spent hours trying to catch a fish. Then you realize you could catch it easily in 15 minutes, provided some buckets and siphon tubing.

Just think of it as a big water change :)
Oh my gosh! I had to leave my basement and remove myself from the house...my tank is 380 gal BUT I was considering it! I really hope people read this and think twice...I wanted a Vlamingi tang in the worst way, but i still don't believe my tank is suitable if it would be a 2 foot long active fish. This has laid that wish to rest.

To be honest, watching my Blue Jaw trigger makes me sad. I don't think he has enough space. They just move constantly. Be he is STAYING! Lol

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn’t look so evil!! Very pretty fish, I can see myself doing a quick live aquaria search and impulse buying a small one. Now I know!

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn’t look so evil!! Very pretty fish, I can see myself doing a quick live aquaria search and impulse buying a small one. Now I know!
Exactly! That is why I have struggled for so long deciding to get rid of him. They are beautiful, and he was fine until he reached adulthood. I think that is why the list them as peaceful and reef safe. Which is not right, they should be telling you what that are like as an adult specimen.

U

User1

View Badges
Nobody likes topics that questions their stocking list. I'm not saying this is your case OP but just saying what happens to people when they come up. However, the truth to the question is rather simple.

Fish are not a commodity. They are a pet. The onus is on the hobbyist to do the right thing...

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where decades of experience with fish comes into play. Like triggers not being reef safe on most every website the sells them. Well I have decades of experience with many types of fish and my Clown, Sargassum, Assasi and Blueline are absolutely reef safe. I've got a reef jam packed with corals and they dont touch any corals. Ya they might snack on a dumb hermit that doesn't hide during the day but that's about it. After you gain lots of experience which comes with time you will learn on your own what not to add. Having plenty of rock work and feeding them appropriately also helps alot. I have 14 fish and they dont bother any of them even the smallest.
20200429_181243.jpg
20200429_181243.jpg
20200421_173017.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg
20200421_124922.jpg
20200421_173017.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my crustaceans so I appreciate fish that will eat them being listed as "not reef safe". I also feel that each fish has their own personality. My tank has plenty of rock work and I am the definition of an over feeder. I am super happy you have been fortunate to have such luck. My experience has not been the same.

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending hours chasing fish, I finally found the solution.

Drain the tank, catch the fish, refill the tank.

It only sounds extreme until youve spent hours trying to catch a fish. Then you realize you could catch it easily in 15 minutes, provided some buckets and siphon tubing.

Just think of it as a big water change :)
Soooo fun fact...he some how after 2 days in the acclimation box waiting to go to his new home...he ESCAPED!!! ARGH...I may be draining the tank after all! I am being out smarter by a 4 inch fish!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Try waiting until the tank and room has been dark for at least a couple of hours. Using a small flashlight locate the fish and shine the light into its eyes. Hold the light there it will mesmerize the the fish allowing you to net it. Usually works pretty good.
I agree with Big G in the darkness. Better yet, is a red light OR flashlight with red film over it. They cant see the redness.

Drew Hitt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you found him a home? Not sure where your located... but I wouldn’t mind buying him... if you can get him back out

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where decades of experience with fish comes into play. Like triggers not being reef safe on most every website the sells them. Well I have decades of experience with many types of fish and my Clown, Sargassum, Assasi and Blueline are absolutely reef safe. I've got a reef jam packed with corals and they dont touch any corals. Ya they might snack on a dumb hermit that doesn't hide during the day but that's about it. After you gain lots of experience which comes with time you will learn on your own what not to add. Having plenty of rock work and feeding them appropriately also helps alot. I have 14 fish and they dont bother any of them even the smallest.
20200429_181243.jpg
20200429_181243.jpg
20200421_173017.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg
20200421_124922.jpg
20200421_173017.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg
Love the tank.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is actually pretty fun to catch fish out of the tank with hook and line. Have done it many times. Don't even need a fishing pole. Just need to be prepared for some bycatch. :0)

Acrocrazy725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with this : Aqua Medic fish trap.

I take the glass door off and dont use it. I suspend the trap at the top of the tank because I use a net to catch the fish in the trap.
Feed the tank only through the trap.
Be patient. In a few days, all of your fish will be swimming into the trap to eat.
It takes about a week or two, but it's been 100% effective for me, and I've never failed to catch the fish I was after.
Me too but you have to to do what he says and leave door off for a week and only feed from hole in top of trap. I actually submerge trap. On mine there is a little tube that I can remove,and put food and replace. Hardest part is getting only fish you want in trap. So sometimes you have to catch more than target fish and then release others.
i also feed my fish with my net. So when they see net they will actually swim in it. Takes time but you can train them. Most of my fish will eat out of my hand.
Hardest fish to catch was my six line wrasse. Took me 10 days and lots of failed attempts at pulling string and dropping trap door, He was super smart.
that would be a cool thread “story of hardest fish you ever had to catch. “.

ryan265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try waiting until the tank and room has been dark for at least a couple of hours. Using a small flashlight locate the fish and shine the light into its eyes. Hold the light there it will mesmerize the the fish allowing you to net it. Usually works pretty good.

If you play a flute while you do this it’s guaranteed to work...

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Big G in the darkness. Better yet, is a red light OR flashlight with red film over it. They cant see the redness.
You guys crack me up! I was in the tank ALL DAY yesterday, no luck. So before I went to bed defeated...I made a net bag over the entire rock he was in.
Then this morning I went in with a net and the flashlight on my phone and BOOM! Caught him! The blinding/disorienting bright light worked! Also, playing the flute DOES help! Hahaha

Learned my lesson...he is in a little 10 Gal tank...20 ft from MY tank. If he makes it back in there...it will be divine intervention! If anyone is near Brownsdale MN,
@Drew Hitt he is yours if you want him!!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh! I had to leave my basement and remove myself from the house...my tank is 380 gal BUT I was considering it! I really hope people read this and think twice...I wanted a Vlamingi tang in the worst way, but i still don't believe my tank is suitable if it would be a 2 foot long active fish. This has laid that wish to rest.

To be honest, watching my Blue Jaw trigger makes me sad. I don't think he has enough space. They just move constantly. Be he is STAYING! Lol
I’ve enjoyed your thread thank you for sharing. I hope you find a home for the fish. I had a lime green wrasse that was suppose to be reef safe and killed all my snails, shrimp and all the other wrasses in our 300 gal. Killed a 400$ flame wrasse that was amazing. :( but after months we decided to catch him. He got in in about an hour and put into out fish only tank. We have had the 300 gal reef for 4 yrs and I don’t think my tangs have grown at all.. it’s only six ft tank. However we also have an 8 ft 300gal fish only. We upgraded for our Sohal, porcupine puffer, and Koran angel all about 10”+ . We have added naso, vlamingi, and unicorn tangs also but all very small when we got them. The vlamingi has doubled in size in 5 months. We are hoping since tank is 8’ will be enough room. All get along well now. Also have other fish with the tangs. But no more now. Thank you for sharing!

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve enjoyed your thread thank you for sharing. I hope you find a home for the fish. I had a lime green wrasse that was suppose to be reef safe and killed all my snails, shrimp and all the other wrasses in our 300 gal. Killed a 400$ flame wrasse that was amazing. :( but after months we decided to catch him. He got in in about an hour and put into out fish only tank. We have had the 300 gal reef for 4 yrs and I don’t think my tangs have grown at all.. it’s only six ft tank. However we also have an 8 ft 300gal fish only. We upgraded for our Sohal, porcupine puffer, and Koran angel all about 10”+ . We have added naso, vlamingi, and unicorn tangs also but all very small when we got them. The vlamingi has doubled in size in 5 months. We are hoping since tank is 8’ will be enough room. All get along well now. Also have other fish with the tangs. But no more now. Thank you for sharing!

image.jpg image.jpg
My male flame wrasse was also a victim...got him as a very pretty girl and watched him change. That was my breaking point. That, and finding my anthias!

Your fish are AMAZING! I had a Vlamingi on my wish list but not happening. I don't think my sanity could handle this a second time!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male flame wrasse was also a victim...got him as a very pretty girl and watched him change. That was my breaking point. That, and finding my anthias!

Your fish are AMAZING! I had a Vlamingi on my wish list but not happening. I don't think my sanity could handle this a second time!
Thank you very much. I’m glad you caught you’re fish and hope it finds a nice home. I lov the Bartletts anthias very pretty.can you post a full tank shot looks beautiful from what I saw!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back