Litermeter 3 for larger volume water changes?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm debating getting a litermeter 3 to do water changes with. Is there benefit in daily changes of around 1 gallon or can these pumps push and pull fast enough to do a 5 gallon water change each week?

I'd like to have a water mixing station in my basement alongside the rodi and have a LM3 be able to pull water from the tank upstairs and drain it into my spare sink in the basement as well as pump fresh saltwater from mixing station back into the tank.

Does this sound like what I need for the task I'm looking for? Trying to simplify the water changes since that seems like the biggest task in this hobby without having to do a lot of plumbing work. Thinking just a small hole in the floor can fit some 1/4" tubes.

kennytze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a Litermeter 3 and attached pump to changeout 2.4 gallons a day on my 180 gal mixed reef for around six months with no problems. This is a great setup for stability as it removes and adds equal amounts approximately every nine minutes.

tkeracer619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look into the Versa. Also, put the peristaltic downstairs by the vat and push that distance. You will need to independently controllable peristaltics to pump water that far. They will not flow the same so will need to be calibrated.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look into the Versa. Also, put the peristaltic downstairs by the vat and push that distance. You will need to independently controllable peristaltics to pump water that far. They will not flow the same so will need to be calibrated.
I could do that. 2 versa pumps are $300 compared to a LM3 + addon pump totaling about $450. Both can be calibrated it looks like. spectrapure seems to have a solid reputation when it comes to LM3 and their ATO. Wonder how good the versa will be in comparison.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
SpectraPure is a proven solution that can handle pressure well and event pump water few stories up and some 50 plus feet across. It's reliable and the company provides superb support in the unlikely event you need their help or just to answer questions.

+1

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run the Spectrapure AWC system along with their ATO? I just placed an order for the LM3, remote module and the overflow sensor to get set up with AWC. I would like to change 4L daily on my total 100g system. I'd also like to add their ATO without removing saltwater and pumping in RODI.

Otherwise in worst case I let AWC system work while I'm home and only use ATO and disconnect AWC system when I'm away from home.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change about 4 gal per day in my 125g reef with a LM3, been doing that for years. I just pump it up to the main tank nightly and let it go over an overflow in my sump to the drain. I have a second one to add evaporation water daily.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jury is still out on the reliability of the Versa as it’s only been out for less than 2 months. The Litermeter from Spectrapure is a very reliable piece of gear with a long and proven track record.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change about 4 gal per day in my 125g reef with a LM3, been doing that for years. I just pump it up to the main tank nightly and let it go over an overflow in my sump to the drain. I have a second one to add evaporation water daily.
So if I read that right do you have both awc and ato on separate timers to do that? Thanks!

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I read that right do you have both awc and ato on separate timers to do that? Thanks!
The evaporation makeup LM3 is just dialed in to add about 1 gallon per day which has been my historical evap rate so not a separate timer just thru the LM3 itself since you have volume per day adjustments. The water change LM3 is actually on a timer that turns on 2 hours at night, runs continuous and that equals about 4 gal of new saltwater during that time pumped from a 40 gal saltwater mix tank in my basement.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The evaporation makeup LM3 is just dialed in to add about 1 gallon per day which has been my historical evap rate so not a separate timer just thru the LM3 itself since you have volume per day adjustments. The water change LM3 is actually on a timer that turns on 2 hours at night, runs continuous and that equals about 4 gal of new saltwater during that time pumped from a 40 gal saltwater mix tank in my basement.
Ah I see. I purchased their AWC units but haven't picked up the ATO yet. Maybe i can do this and simply add a 3rd remote pump module to the LM3 and have it pump a fixed volume of RODI daily. Good info! So your awc pump is changing about 8000mL/hr for a few hours. I wasnt sure how fast we could actually pump or if it had to be divided and ran over a 24hr period. Read other places people have the pumps turning on every 9 minutes. So in this case I could easily change out 4L in an hour.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to know the main difference in these two units? Sounds very similar.

SmartSelect_20200215-084341_Chrome.jpg

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. I purchased their AWC units but haven't picked up the ATO yet. Maybe i can do this and simply add a 3rd remote pump module to the LM3 and have it pump a fixed volume of RODI daily. Good info! So your awc pump is changing about 8000mL/hr for a few hours. I wasnt sure how fast we could actually pump or if it had to be divided and ran over a 24hr period. Read other places people have the pumps turning on every 9 minutes. So in this case I could easily change out 4L in an hour.
With an overflow to the drain I don't worry about adding too much or not taking out enough during a water change. I do have to watch the salinity if the evaporation makeup is not correct though. For the LM3 water change it has two options one a metered output per day that doses a small amount every 9 min. or so as you mention or just ON mode that runs continuous and that is what I do with a 2 hour timer. There are cheaper options like a BRS doser since I just run continuous but I found the LM3 quality second to none and I rarely have to change the tubing. I have to pump it vertical about 15 feet so not all can do that reliably.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I really appreciate your time to explain it! I'm coming back to the hobby after being out of it for quite a few years and have never had AWC or ATO in my previous tank.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I noticed the exorbitant price increases as well. As much as I love my Spectrapure gear, the recent price increases as well as their crazy shipping costs will really price themselves out of the reach of new customers IMO.

The stand alone dosing pump went from $135 just a few years ago to $180 last year... now I’ve noticed that it’s jumped up to $260. Yikes!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is the Litermeter 4 going to be when it comes out?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, I noticed the exorbitant price increases as well. As much as I love my Spectrapure gear, the recent price increases as well as their crazy shipping costs will really price themselves out of the reach of new customers IMO.

The stand alone dosing pump went from $135 just a few years ago to $180 last year... now I’ve noticed that it’s jumped up to $260. Yikes!

Yep, I noticed that too. Was waiting for the G6 modules to be back in stock which now that I see G7 pump at the shocking new price I don't think the other will ever be back in stock.

Take that price and double it for 2 units for AWC and we are way over $500. Crap!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’m guessing that there will be a good bit of sticker shock involved. :(

I'm already stunned.

The LMIII was nowhere to be found for nearly 2 years now and I'm sure they see a lot of interest by people asking for stock....but dang with these new prices, they are probably looking to push small volume at premium buck.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back