Little surprised I’ve got one.. Quoyi Parrotfish

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ACC8AC16-3715-477F-856F-91A74F162A07.jpeg
D169A630-9333-4DCD-B784-827A3D3D37A2.jpeg
sorry to bring up an old thread - do you still j ave the quoyis? have the opportunity to get one and threads like this are kinda scaring me away.

I am by no means an expert, however, I have had longterm success with my copperband and was able to get him eating absolutely nothing, to eating live, to completely frozen in a few months. was also able to get my mandarin dragonet eating frozen. time and patience for sure but im willing to do whatever it takes. just not sure its worth it if nobody has ever really been able to keep them long term.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine...

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 19

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to bring up an old thread - do you still j ave the quoyis? have the opportunity to get one and threads like this are kinda scaring me away.

I am by no means an expert, however, I have had longterm success with my copperband and was able to get him eating absolutely nothing, to eating live, to completely frozen in a few months. was also able to get my mandarin dragonet eating frozen. time and patience for sure but im willing to do whatever it takes. just not sure its worth it if nobody has ever really been able to keep them long term.

I think you’ll find that Quoyi’s are far less finicky than Copperbands and Dragonets, once they’re settled and start building confidence in the tank they accept all kinds of food and graze on rocks all day long — you might end up with bare, coralline-free patches on your rocks. Mine goes crazy for TDO, Purple Nori, and eats LRS.

The thing you have to watch and potentially treat for with Quoyi’s are internal parasites. A search here should have a thread or two on how to treat the tank with Prazipro and/or feed Metro for intestinal worms.

Another thing is that these guys are probably the friendliest fish you may ever have, but are super passive. If you have other grazers in the tank, i.e. some of the meaner tangs, they’ll likely harass the parrot into hiding. I used to have a PBT that I rehomed because of this. Currently have a Gem Tang and Chocolate Tang and they largely get along.

If you can, find a smaller specimen. I saw that Violet Aquarium had some really nice ones in their WYSIWYG section a couple weeks ago (mislabeled as Princess Parrots).

Good luck!

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’ll find that Quoyi’s are far less finicky than Copperbands and Dragonets, once they’re settled and start building confidence in the tank they accept all kinds of food and graze on rocks all day long — you might end up with bare, coralline-free patches on your rocks. Mine goes crazy for TDO, Purple Nori, and eats LRS.

The thing you have to watch and potentially treat for with Quoyi’s are internal parasites. A search here should have a thread or two on how to treat the tank with Prazipro and/or feed Metro for intestinal worms.

Another thing is that these guys are probably the friendliest fish you may ever have, but are super passive. If you have other grazers in the tank, i.e. some of the meaner tangs, they’ll likely harass the parrot into hiding. I used to have a PBT that I rehomed because of this. Currently have a Gem Tang and Chocolate Tang and they largely get along.

If you can, find a smaller specimen. I saw that Violet Aquarium had some really nice ones in their WYSIWYG section a couple weeks ago (mislabeled as Princess Parrots).

Good luck!
The problem is long term success. Most people aren’t able to keep them over 6 months. When I try to care for one, I want to make sure I’m doing everything I can but the fact that hardly anyone has been able to keep them is stealing me away.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back