OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro/di has high silicon. Probably need to change the filters again.

Attachments

• IMG_4712.png
    IMG_4712.png
    236 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
changed the lighting to use the World Wode Corals LPS lagoon template and dropped the schedule to 40%.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step is a 30g water change. Keeping the lights tuned down and mostly blues. Will continue to monitor for a few more weeks and if no improvement then it’s snot meant to be and I put the setup on the curb.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 30g water change last week no change in response so far. One colony of Zoas is open. The colony next to it won’t open anymore. other colonies barely open.

1 hammer single head. Opens but no growth in months. I have a devils hand that opens but has not grown in a year. 2 mushrooms that don’t grow/split.

All other hammers, torches, frogspawns are gone.

Snails, crabs fish appear ok.

Changing the lights to a bluer setting has not change anything in the tank. I know things take time but I don’t see any change at all.

If the ICP test shows nothing. Coraline algae has covered everything. Fish live. I guess it can only be the lighting. Either I spend $600 on a PAR meter or maybe replace the lights. Or figure out how to tune them.

I would love for a fellow reefer in the area to come by and give me their thoughts or what I am missing here.

Glowurm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 30g water change last week no change in response so far. One colony of Zoas is open. The colony next to it won’t open anymore. other colonies barely open.

1 hammer single head. Opens but no growth in months. I have a devils hand that opens but has not grown in a year. 2 mushrooms that don’t grow/split.

All other hammers, torches, frogspawns are gone.

Snails, crabs fish appear ok.

Changing the lights to a bluer setting has not change anything in the tank. I know things take time but I don’t see any change at all.

If the ICP test shows nothing. Coraline algae has covered everything. Fish live. I guess it can only be the lighting. Either I spend $600 on a PAR meter or maybe replace the lights. Or figure out how to tune them.

I would love for a fellow reefer in the area to come by and give me their thoughts or what I am missing here.
So you can rent a par meter in the US (like took me a minute to google this).

Im fairly new to this but strikes me you’re adding hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of coral, both SPS, LPS and softies in quick bursts, then not reacting to changes in your nutritional requirements of the tank or worse you’ve not checked basics like the PAR levels of the tank.

Whats the rush? Everything I’ve read to date suggests nothing good in this hobby happens quickly!

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added different coral over the course of 1.5 years. The last while waiting on the contest was not touching the tank for 2 months. Nothing changed. I am not expecting a full recovery but corals still fading away is my concern.

I’ll try to find a par meter.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Looking for some ideas for little to no growth in corals. Mushrooms fade away or never grow, Zoas grow very slow, some don’t open. Frogspawns hammers don’t grow and eventually die after months. Have a toad stool leather that barely opens. Ricordeas start off strong then all shrink. Coralline however is all over the place. Tried a few SPS frags. They last a few weeks.

Tank is a 90g reef running 2x Radion XR15 Blues (tried 60% to 70% over months). Flow is an MP40 and a MP-10. Apex controller for monitoring and Bluebird for heater controller. Eshopps skimmer. Could run a fuge but that I have tried chaeto months ago and it died off.

Water parameters
Alk 9.3
Cal 400
Msg 1050
Amon 0
Nitrate 2.5
PO4 0
Temp 77-78
ph 8-8.3
Sal 1.024
Orp 400-420

Use Red Sea Salt

Fish: red hawk, 2 small ocealaris clowns and a goby. Various snails, and few snails.
As others have said phosphate , msg. Are low, but I think your nitrates are low as well. My tank stays between 15 and 25ppm

Glowurm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the icp test they are all inline.
I'd stop chasing numbers, folks got wildly different parameters which have been built up over X years, strikes me they will all be different due to the biology of there system.

Get the Par measurements, maybe slow down a little. I know you've said this is over 18 months, was there a period when things were moving along nicely? Do you have the parameters you were running during that period to hand?

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a mess. Got a par meter and if it’s correct the Radions are crap at PAR

Attached is a drawing of the tank and readings. AB+. ( all LEDS on)

40%
60%
80%
100%

Will test again tomorrow but this is not good for there Holt Grail lights.

Attachments

• IMG_4757.jpeg
    IMG_4757.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attached is a drawing of the tank and readings.

Glowurm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attached is a drawing of the tank and readings.
Wow those are bad, i was expecting you might have poor spread but didnt expect what is a relatively expensive light having such poor results.

What are the dimensions of the tank? How far off the water line are they?

Also did you mention a glass lid?

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass lid. Lights are mounted using the RMS kit. 7 inches above the glass and the water is 1-2 inches below that.

90g reef. 48x18x24

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measured some more. And including pulling the glass tops. What a difference.

Readings are AB+. All channels 100
40%
60%
80%
100%
85% no glass.

Pic is no glass

Attachments

• IMG_4762.jpeg
    IMG_4762.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4758.jpeg
    IMG_4758.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 0

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • Full frame

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back