Live bbs

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all I’ve had my seahorse tank for well over a month now been feeding live bbs. However this last batch seemed to not be as fruitful with very few live bbs successfully hatched. I handed baking soda for ph balance and keep an aerator on. Some of the eggs seemed clumped together

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all I’ve had my seahorse tank for well over a month now been feeding live bbs. However this last batch seemed to not be as fruitful with very few live bbs successfully hatched. I handed baking soda for ph balance and keep an aerator on. Some of the eggs seemed clumped together

SO when you say 'batch' it does make me wonder if every couple of batches you are sterilizing your hatchery. Bit of bleach followed by declorinator and good rinse or (depending type) dishwasher gets good and hot (top rack, those flat hatcheries are easy but that plastic is very flimsy). If you've got vial/jug type likely those will not go into dishwasher.

I've been having crazy success with BRS brine shrimp, and I know you're supposed to go from freezer, thaw in fridge, then use but these eggs have been in freezer 1-2 years, i just scoop tiny bit out using tiny scoop that somehow I've managed not to lose in all the times (frequency and duration) I've used it. Start pulling out bbs in under 12 hours and they hatch for 3 days... CRAZY

I think the 'secret' is keeping that hatchery clean but that is based on something i read years ago. If you get better advice, use it. Truly I shouldn't be hatching as well as I am... now I've jinxed myself... I do have multiple black flat hatcheries because at one historical point I planned to do my mandarin with the Paul B feeder... instead I went the lazy easy copepod spirulina with banana peel method for my mandarin...

Now i only hatch bbs to feed my aiptasias (not kidding... they are food for my berghia and berghia make so much poo despite eating JUST aiptasia that tanks staying clean is serious struggle (plus watch changes are themselves problematic because little berghia do not hold on nearly as well as I think they should))

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back