Live Dry Sand

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a bunch of Caribsea Live Sand, but when it came it, the boxes were wet and the sand was all dry. Debating returning. Is this an issue? Thanks.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sand has completely dried out and isnt damp at all then it's most likely not live sand anymore. So i would contact the seller

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand appears damp, no not any liquid left in the bags like I’ve seen before and boxes were wet.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably get a refund if you dont open them but if theyre still damp/wet in the center id just use it asap and get it in the tank.

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be another week….moving next week and will be moving tank on Thursday. Was advised to chunk existing sand and replace.

ReefingIsMyTherapy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sand has completely dried out and isnt damp at all then it's most likely not live sand anymore. So i would contact the seller
I apologize for piggybacking on your post and if this is a stupid question (still super new to the hobby), but what would happen if I use the sand anyway? I have a similar problem (the water in the bags is gone and sand already started to dry out) and I'm not sure if the business I purchased the sand from will replace it with new one. Is the bacteria in the sand "gone" forever? If so, wouldn't new bacteria colonize the sand? The earliest I can put the sand in the tank is 2 weeks from today.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for piggybacking on your post and if this is a stupid question (still super new to the hobby), but what would happen if I use the sand anyway? I have a similar problem (the water in the bags is gone and sand already started to dry out) and I'm not sure if the business I purchased the sand from will replace it with new one. Is the bacteria in the sand "gone" forever? If so, wouldn't new bacteria colonize the sand? The earliest I can put the sand in the tank is 2 weeks from today.
Lots of people don’t even use live sand at all. If you’re stuck with it, anything with some “life” to it would only be a benefit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back