Live Rock causing injury

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I took a lot of rock out of my tank because I had too much. But my finger tips and palm were bleeding and then they hurt fon like two days? Anyone have this happen? Some rock have very small and short little quills growing on them. Maybe it was that or could it have been bristle worms?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I took a lot of rock out of my tank because I had too much. But my finger tips and palm were bleeding and then they hurt fon like two days? Anyone have this happen? Some rock Nhave very small and short little quills growing on them. Maybe it was that or could it have been bristle worms?
And that is the love-hate relationship I have with aquascaping. Do you have a photo of the "quills"? Usually that only happens to me with dry rock

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I took a lot of rock out of my tank because I had too much. But my finger tips and palm were bleeding and then they hurt fon like two days? Anyone have this happen? Some rock have very small and short little quills growing on them. Maybe it was that or could it have been bristle worms?
Man made concrete rocks are unnaturally rough, sometimes. The quills sound like the calcareous tubes of the tiny vermitid snails that can poke through gloves and skin and leave a painful puncture wound that can carry bits of worm tubes and bacteria that can be felt for days afterward.
Did you see blood? The vermin snails are often the culprit unless you have a pincushion urchin, they have a similar injury.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man made concrete rocks are unnaturally rough, sometimes. The quills sound like the calcareous tubes of the tiny vermitid snails that can poke through gloves and skin and leave a painful puncture wound that can carry bits of worm tubes and bacteria that can be felt for days afterward.
Did you see blood? The vermin snails are often the culprit unless you have a pincushion urchin, they have a similar injury.
yea, I was thinking vermitids too. They always protruding and poking out

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it might be awhile before i get a pic. a lot of the pieces are in the sump and its hard to get to. plus i'm having lighting issues with my coral since i moved everything around. its like i just got new corals and they are not happy

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the things. If you look down on the right corner. I have rocks covered in these.
IMG_0292.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I use.

And wow that's alot
I had many more than that before I added the Bumblebee snails. I really hated them when they were a plague. I couldn’t move a rock without injuries and cursing and bleeding. They have faded away with time, thankfully.
Angry Mood GIF by Nick

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had many more than that before I added the Bumblebee snails. I really hated them when they were a plague. I couldn’t move a rock without injuries and cursing and bleeding. They have faded away with time, thankfully.
Angry Mood GIF by Nick
I keep bumblebees for these guys. I also break/crush their shells with an acrylic rod. The bumblebees clean up.

Erric78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the rocks themselves or is there something biting or scratching you?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back