Live rock dry rock

mikebelga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm just about to start a new reef I plan to use dry rock in the sump and live rock on de display what do you think?
This is a picture if the sump
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401647169.886202.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401647187.643864.jpg

The sump will have in the bottom around 120 lbs of dry rock the second stage wil be a 20 g refugium with MM and chaeto the third is the skimmer and biopellet and last the return pump I will also be using CPE the tank is 140 g and the sump around 70 g

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get all dry rock.. It would be much cheaper than live rock and wont have to worry about hitchhickers..

Get the BRS reef-saver rock its great stuff.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get all dry rock.. It would be much cheaper than live rock and wont have to worry about hitchhickers..

Get the BRS reef-saver rock its great stuff.

Really? Dry rock is under $2.64/lb shipped?

I have not had a single "bad" hitchhiker on tukani rock. I have had a large population of pods, microstars, breeding populations of chiton and snails though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Dry rock is under $2.64/lb shipped?

I have not had a single "bad" hitchhiker on tukani rock. I have had a large population of pods, microstars, breeding populations of chiton and snails though.

Depending on how much you order from BRS they have free shipping on order over $175. I would recommend just ordering extra, so it would give a good selection.

EDIT: Also, live rock you are paying for the weight of water as well.. IDK about you but I rather not pay extra because its wet.

And finally, Just because you never had a bad hitch-hiker doesnt mean nobody else never has. Same goes for Quarantining fish, some get lucky some don't. I prefer to do away with risks..

Just my .02

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Momma always said "Life is like a box of Live Rock.. Ya never know whatchya gonna get"

...errr.. something like that..

OP
OP
M

mikebelga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all of you guys, using dry rock because my thank got contaminated with soap I'm not sure how but all went wrong all my fish died the coral is fine in a secondary thank. So the live rock I had to wash it and dry it cause everything inside was dying. I'll let you know how things are going.

Chalice palace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use dry rock when I start new tanks as I know there are no pests in it also it is alot cheaper. Takes a little longer for the cycle period but worth the wait imo, vs having unknown hitchhikers that cause prob later on and u are forced to remove the rock anyway to get the pests off

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • D/C

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • Both

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 10 16.1%
Back