Live rock gone bad?

burtonboy182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some LR. Came in great, smelled fine with lots of life on it. I put it in a 10g tank with a powerhead. Heater cord was too short so I left it without. I neglected the tank for a couple days and when I checked on it all the bristle worms, pistol shrimp, dwarf seahorse were dead. I pulled the rock out and I did a 100% water change. It smelled horrible once I took them out. Its in the 10g tank, water is clean and clear, no smell... Wondering if the rock is still "Live?" and has all the microfauna and biodiversity.

The rock still has beautiful color on it. Im going to leave it in the 10G and do regular WC on it and test it for the next month before moving it to the sump of my display. Right now Display only has a few fish. No corals yet. Rock was supposed to be the seed for corals

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it’s stinks then somethings alive that’s for doggone sure...my advice is stick it back in, add some microbacter and wait.....
following and interested in what others say

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much rock and what type?

It sounds like you experienced some die off, do what you are planning, WC, maybe pick off anything dead, test water parameters and see where you end up in a few weeks.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some LR. Came in great, smelled fine with lots of life on it. I put it in a 10g tank with a powerhead. Heater cord was too short so I left it without. I neglected the tank for a couple days and when I checked on it all the bristle worms, pistol shrimp, dwarf seahorse were dead. I pulled the rock out and I did a 100% water change. It smelled horrible once I took them out. Its in the 10g tank, water is clean and clear, no smell... Wondering if the rock is still "Live?" and has all the microfauna and biodiversity.

The rock still has beautiful color on it. Im going to leave it in the 10G and do regular WC on it and test it for the next month before moving it to the sump of my display. Right now Display only has a few fish. No corals yet. Rock was supposed to be the seed for corals
Was the tank fully cycled?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back