Live Rock on an Airplane

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve discovered it’s cheaper to fly than drive on my pilgrimages back home to Florida, so that’s what I’ll start doing.
I’d really love to pick up a few small pieces of live rock from Tampa Bay LR for my pico. Is there anyway I can bring the rock on a plane?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should be fine in a checked bag. You could put a big thing of water and some dry rocks in a checked bag, so I don't see why you couldn't put rocks in water in a checked bag. Tampa Bay would probably know how to pack everything up best.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve discovered it’s cheaper to fly than drive on my pilgrimages back home to Florida, so that’s what I’ll start doing.
I’d really love to pick up a few small pieces of live rock from Tampa Bay LR for my pico. Is there anyway I can bring the rock on a plane?
I just returned from Florida. I carried on some nails, macro algae and hermits. I got pulled to side for tsa check but delayed me a few minutes. Checking would probably work. I’d keep receipts just in case there are questions about where you got it from.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude just order a “treasure chest” pico package. It’s so easy and convenient. Next day shipping. I’m awaiting my second one. Their rock is so freaking nice.
They’re not diving right now because of the rough seas. I’ve got 8lbs coming that’s supposed to be harvested in a couple weeks and to my door on the 18th. Hauling rock and water around with me in an airport and and on a plane sounds like adding a lot of stress to an already stressful situation. But that’s just me.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude just order a “treasure chest” pico package. It’s so easy and convenient. Next day shipping. I’m awaiting my second one. Their rock is so freaking nice.
They’re not diving right now because of the rough seas. I’ve got 8lbs coming that’s supposed to be harvested in a couple weeks and to my door on the 18th. Hauling rock and water around with me in an airport and and on a plane sounds like adding a lot of stress to an already stressful situation. But that’s just me.
That's, what, $85 shipping? It's a pretty nice deal if you can't get there in person, but if you're already there, might as well grab some. Could probably ask them to package it up in a way that could easily be stuck in a checked bag, then it's the airport's problem. Long as it's packed up nice and snug.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's, what, $85 shipping? It's a pretty nice deal if you can't get there in person, but if you're already there, might as well grab some. Could probably ask them to package it up in a way that could easily be stuck in a checked bag, then it's the airport's problem. Long as it's packed up nice and snug.
Exactly my thinking lol I don’t wanna pay for shipping and I’d rather pick what rock I want so I can get the best scape

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is a checked bag? I mean if you get free checked bags then I guess it may be worth something, but if you’ve gotta pay any extra, even if it’s only $25, to me it’s just not worth the headache of trying to explain to some clown at the airport what you’re trying to bring home. If shipping on rock is less than 100, to me it just makes more sense to have it shipped to you.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is a checked bag? I mean if you get free checked bags then I guess it may be worth something, but if you’ve gotta pay any extra, even if it’s only $25, to me it’s just not worth the headache of trying to explain to some clown at the airport what you’re trying to bring home. If shipping on rock is less than 100, to me it just makes more sense to have it shipped to you.
I get a free checked bag. And I wouldn’t be lugging anything just like three pounds of rock and some macro. I just didn’t know if TSA would allow these things which is why I made this thread

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a free checked bag. And I wouldn’t be lugging anything just like three pounds of rock and some macro. I just didn’t know if TSA would allow these things which is why I made this thread
Checked luggage is what you drop off at the ticket counter right? Not what you bring through the scanners as carry-on? I would think if it is packed for the belly of the plane you would have less issues with TSA unless they open and inspect which if it is packaged with paperwork attached, than if you are trying to bring it through security.

Either way....they can find if if they want to. I had a few hurricane matches in a first aid kit in my suitcase. Probably showed as a weird color on the scanner....I got a letter in the mail saying my case was closed.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might have trouble bringing it in your carry-on, but you can have most things in a checked bag, excluding certain batteries and some particularly nasty chemicals. They would also more than likely not see it unless they pick your checked bag for a random inspection, which is probably not done very often anyway in flights going between different parts of the same country.

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did it a zillion times. When you fly on the airlies some give free baggage like Southwest. Two bags fly free with you. Take your one personal bag and a box of live rock packed as we normally do for regular air cargo shipping, because this is air cargo shipping, comes the same way air cargo but flies as one of your two pieces of baggage. free.

MUCH easier than any other option and free if on Southwest. Other airlines normal baggage fees whatever they charge would apply as a fully packed to the brim capacity will be packed to be less than fifty pounds so it will make the 50# limits most airlines have. Even if you have more than two..they will charge you by the piece/pound for extra boxes. .it is really economical to add one or many bags to your checked luggage when you are flying with it.

Carry on..rock......usually not worth the hassle...just check it....

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back