Live rock question

  • Thread starter Thread starter OceanDude
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

OceanDude

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2013
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern New York. NORTHERN New York. haha
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I just added two pieces of live rock from a great lfs about an hour away yesterday. There's some growth on it, nothing crazy spectacular. Some feather dusters, some coraline, etc. So now I was wondering if I should do anything more? My friend recently started a new nano as well and wasn't getting the results he wanted from his rock so he added a block of mysis shrimp in the water and then his cycle kickstarted. Should I do that as well? I don't want to rush things, but I know it worked for him.
 
There will be nitrifying bacteria in rocks like you describe. Ghost feeding like your friend is a good idea, id prefer to see elevated nitrates on a test before adding livestock. Are you testing for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites?
 
Just ghost feed the tank. Put enough food daily to feed 2 or 3 pretend small fish. Once the nitrates and nitrites go down to 0 and you have nitrates, your tank is cycled and you can add real fish and CUC. API test kit is fine for this purpose.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new