OP
iMi

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes common.

It is common because you can no longer get real reef rock except from a few places.

This is all fake painted stuff. As you can see... it is very convincing.

Coralline shouldn’t grow on the bottom of a rock so I would just flip it over and look at your original one you posted. I never bought the fake stuff but I would assume it is painted on all sides.

7D7BC256-DC7D-4DB2-913C-44173EB91628.jpeg
26C4EEDA-E7B3-41ED-9E98-BF7AF108A13A.jpeg
76AD5203-0CEF-425C-91BB-DB6F8F1EC1E3.jpeg

I looked at it closely. I think you're right. It's painted with real coralline algae growing on it. Does having painted rock impact water quality?

The Reef Rock, which ironically was cheaper, is definitely real. Has little worm tubes, swirly thingies growing on it, but looks critter-less as well.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might be seeding the fake stuff with broken pieces of real stuff IMO.

Ironically one of the names of the fake rock is “real reef rock”... which it is not.

A lot of people like the fake stuff though since it is prettier then the dry white stuff.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at it closely. I think you're right. It's painted with real coralline algae growing on it. Does having painted rock impact water quality?

The Reef Rock, which ironically was cheaper, is definitely real. Has little worm tubes, swirly thingies growing on it, but looks critter-less as well.
It is safe to use. The fake paint may wear off in time. They are probably seeding the fake stuff with real stuff.

OP
OP
iMi

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might be seeding the fake stuff with broken pieces of real stuff IMO.

Ironically one of the names of the fake rock is “real reef rock”... which it is not.

A lot of people like the fake stuff though since it is prettier then the dry white stuff.

The dry stuff looks like bleached coral, which makes me thing they are sourcing this stuff. Doesn't make sense. I'll be going back to sort this out...

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like vermatid snails.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
their rock provided allows for skip cycle setups, don't go too harsh on em

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dry stuff looks like bleached coral, which makes me thing they are sourcing this stuff. Doesn't make sense. I'll be going back to sort this out...

Dry rock is mostly mined and looks like this:

F967AE08-ACE4-45F9-B1C9-F61C917AE164.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to what others have said about lfs rocks. You know, I have brought LIVE rock into my lfs many times. They toss it right into the tanks with their other "live" rock. So I think it's safe to assume that all of their rock is real live rock now. And it could contain pests as well.

Im guessing your lfs does the same

OP
OP
iMi

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock is mostly mined and looks like this:

F967AE08-ACE4-45F9-B1C9-F61C917AE164.jpeg

Yes, they have that, too. They have at least 5 different types of rock. The branchy stuff is dead coral. 100% sure. This is what I originally got and put in the tank when I set it up a few weeks ago. It's organic.

IMG_1600.jpg

So they have this and they have rocks like the one you posted, plus some type of darker rock. They did have some dry rock that was painted but those were like complete display things.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought some of the painted stuff - liferock branch because at the time I could not find any tonga branch. As the marketing blurb says, Every LifeRock from CaribSea has an artificial coating and texture that mimics natural coralline algae after being in the ocean for years. Frankly the stuff looks fine and end up growing real coralline anyhow. The accepted definition for live rock seems to have morphed over the years. I now take it to mean only that it is bacterially live, not that it contains many/any small flora or fauna.

OP
OP
iMi

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to what others have said about lfs rocks. You know, I have brought LIVE rock into my lfs many times. They toss it right into the tanks with their other "live" rock. So I think it's safe to assume that all of their rock is real live rock now. And it could contain pests as well.

Im guessing your lfs does the same

Any rock will become live rock in time... The ocean is full of them and live ships, live planes and live cars LOL

OP
OP
iMi

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought some of the painted stuff - liferock branch because at the time I coul dnto find any tonga branch As the marketing blurb says, Every LifeRock from CaribSea has an artificial coating and texture that mimics natural coralline algae after being in the ocean for years. Frankly the stuff looks fine and end up growing real coraline anyhow. The accepted definition for live rock seems to have morphed over the years. I now take it to mean only that it is bacterially live, not that it contains many/any small flora or fauna.

I will say this... I don't like the fake stuff, which sounds like I have bought some, but I do appreciate the fact that it preserved some real live rock in the ocean and is more eco friendly.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is, at the end of the day, it doesn't really make much difference to the end goal of a successful reef tank. Most of the rock in my tank started out live from the ocean; but that was 25 years ago, four of which were spent in the woods in my backyard LOL.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they have that, too. They have at least 5 different types of rock. The branchy stuff is dead coral. 100% sure. This is what I originally got and put in the tank when I set it up a few weeks ago. It's organic.

IMG_1600.jpg

So they have this and they have rocks like the one you posted, plus some type of darker rock. They did have some dry rock that was painted but those were like complete display things.

Not sure where that would be coming from unless they have some old stock.

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are 100% correct as they sell both dry and live rock and aside from the reef rock, what they sell dry is the same type as what they also have available as live rock. So, this is good then? I guess I'm getting the bacteria and no risk of undesirable critters?

The other store in town was cheaper (about half the cost) but had Aptasia in their live rock holding tank, so I passed.
Yeah, I think it's a good idea. If I had the choice from my lfs I would've gone that route. As it is, I went with Caribsea shapes. It is infused with bacteria, but IMHO nothing replaces nature and time. If you really observe their tanks and see nothing that gives you reason to be concerned I say go for it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back