Live Rock without Coralline, is that possible?

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,
Just starting a 34g reef build and I'm going with dry rock/sand to avoid unknown stuff. BUT, I'm thinking about adding a small amount of Live Rock to help prevent dinos. I want the beneficial bacteria but I don't want any Coralline. Is this possible??

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,
Just starting a 34g reef build and I'm going with dry rock/sand to avoid unknown stuff. BUT, I'm thinking about adding a small amount of Live Rock to help prevent dinos. I want the beneficial bacteria but I don't want any Coralline. Is this possible??

If you hide it under your dry rock so it doesn't get any light you might get away with it. ;)

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,
Possible but unlikely to keep your tank away from coralline forever lol. By the way adding live rock or just doing dry rock won’t matter much when it comes down to Dinos... I had my tank full of live rock and still got Dinos after 8-9 months of the tank running with 6 years old live rock.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn't have coralline I am very skeptical it's live rock. Lots of vendors putting mined limestone in water and calling it live rock.

Embrace everything that comes with real live rock and your tank will thank you for it.

jmcdona6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used all artificial dry rock. I still got coralline.

Probably off a frag plug. I usually take frags off the plug but of course, there are some I buy that are already encrusted over it or it is extremely fragile...obviously not going to break it off.

Life will find a way unless you run a CDC lab in your house...even then I wouldn't bet on your success.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just embrace the coraline. Keep it off the glass and back. My rocks are so covered in corals that you can’t see if there is coraline or not. Hope that helps. Happy reefing

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks.

I just really don't want coralline everywhere, or anywhere for that matter.

I am sold on the theory that: Live Rock = More Bacterial/Biological Diversity = Less Chance of Dino

So it needs light, that's good to know. Maybe I'll stuff it in my sump where it won't get any light. Will that bother the beneficial bacteria? Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks.

I just really don't want coralline everywhere, or anywhere for that matter.

I am sold on the theory that: Live Rock = More Bacterial/Biological Diversity = Less Chance of Dino

So it needs light, that's good to know. Maybe I'll stuff it in my sump where it won't get any light. Will that bother the beneficial bacteria? Does this seem like a reasonable approach?
You will imo still end up with some. But yes keeping the lighting down will cut down on the amount.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back