Live rock

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank I started in August with live rock and sand shipped in water. It was as close to an instant reef as I can imagine. I will never go the dry, dead "sterile" way again. You can do it either way but I will challenge anyone who has done it both ways to tell us dead is the better way.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I confused Life Rock and Real Reef Rock. So, life rock is basically Marco rock, but probably less expensive.
Life rock I guess is somewhat man "modified" I guess you could say with the coloring and "live" spore bacteria that they claim is added to it. Either way I think it's great rock...best dry rock available.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There isn't really a "better". If you want to be able to build an intricate scape that takes a day or so out of the water, and/or you have a phobia of creepy crawlies (I mean this in a neutral manner- I know some folks really do get disturbed by the crawlies), dry rock is better. If you want a ton of fascinating life, instant, unparalleled maturity, are willing to work with rock you mostly just gotta stack, and don't mind or outright enjoy having a load of weird crawling things in your tank, full live is better.

My book, the route that will work for the most people is mostly dry with a 10lb package of live- cycles your tank instantly, seeds plenty of the vital algae and bacteria, but easy to inspect and relatively unlikely to bring in many, if any, of the scarier hitchhikers. Though IMO most of the hitchhikers people worry about look far worse than they are.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help clarify something’s without calling anyone out:

I agree the “bad hitchhiker” argument is the least reasonable and based on bad advice in my opinion. Whether you like it or not, you’re going to get hitchhikers unless you thoroughly inspect and QT everything. You can get hitchhikers in snail and crab shells. You get hitchhikers not only on corals but also sometimes in them. Or you only buy that loose coral, take a brain coral for example. Flip it over and you’ll find bristleworms, sponges, all sorts of life. The issue here I believe relates directly to laziness and the “will” to have to do more than just sit and stare at your tank.

Starting with dry rock because you wanted to or due to price? This is a fine reason for me. You may have other reasons but saying hey, this is what I wanted or I couldn’t afford live at the time, I get it and have at it.

With that said, as previously mentioned, I love my live rock but I’m not gonna bash you for using dry. Each have their own perceived benefits. However, and I believe it was @Timfish (sorry if I’m wrong) that has stated this, generally in home aquaria, after some time, whether started with live or dry, the biome balances out to be about the same regardless. It’s just whether the biome is almost immediate or developed over time.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help clarify something’s without calling anyone out:

I agree the “bad hitchhiker” argument is the least reasonable and based on bad advice in my opinion. Whether you like it or not, you’re going to get hitchhikers unless you thoroughly inspect and QT everything. You can get hitchhikers in snail and crab shells. You get hitchhikers not only on corals but also sometimes in them. Or you only buy that loose coral, take a brain coral for example. Flip it over and you’ll find bristleworms, sponges, all sorts of life. The issue here I believe relates directly to laziness and the “will” to have to do more than just sit and stare at your tank.

Starting with dry rock because you wanted to or due to price? This is a fine reason for me. You may have other reasons but saying hey, this is what I wanted or I couldn’t afford live at the time, I get it and have at it.

With that said, as previously mentioned, I love my live rock but I’m not gonna bash you for using dry. Each have their own perceived benefits. However, and I believe it was @Timfish (sorry if I’m wrong) that has stated this, generally in home aquaria, after some time, whether started with live or dry, the biome balances out to be about the same regardless. It’s just whether the biome is almost immediate or developed over time.

Yes, starting with dry rock sooner or later be adding corals teh sponges and other cryptic/microbiome stuff will get established. ANd it's been noted by many aquarists over the years. But it's a much longer road. With 4 decades of using live rock, skipping the "cycle" phase and being able to add easy corals and fish within a day I don't see any reason to not use maricultured or wild live rock (and sand) Aqubiomic's article is an excellent example of how maricultured or wild live rock speeds up the maturation process.

However I've never subscribed to using all live rock and typically use a 50/50 mix of dry and live. I also will drill rock and use PVC pipe or fiberglass rods to create an open structure. Drilling I've found to be a much more reliable solution than cementing as the dissolution processes can eventually cause cementng to fail. Usually it's all dry and live rock is added to it but live rock can be drilled with minimal loss of life using an drill extension and keeping the live rock submerged in salt water.

In concert with some of the above comments, I've never seen the point of quarantining live rock in the dark and always quarantine live rock under typical lighting condition of the tank it's going into. I do make sure to keep the rock oreinted to light the way stuff is growing on it as much as possible. This helps identify unwanted pests, should there be any. Speaking of which, most pests I've encountered come in on stuff I've gotten from other aquarists, not live rock. And the biggest pest I've run into, the one that has caused many more deaths than majanos and aiptasia and mantis shrimp are BTAs. (I know 2 aquarist who got mantis shrimp and they are their favorite animal once they realized all they had to do was keep them well fed.)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
(note: neutral tone here.)
How long is "some time"? Ten years? And does that look only at the microscopic biome (bacteria, algae, admittedly the the most important bits) or at larger creatures which don't serve too much purpose but are nice to look at?
I know my live rock has vastly more visible stuff on it after two years than dry rock would have after two years. Clams, fanworms, even some tunicates. I'd be willing to bet it has much more diversity of algae and bacteria, too. I know a lot of that will eventually die off in aquaria, from simple old age if nothing else, but I am enjoying it in the meantime.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can real live rock still be purchased and is it better to use live rock or the imitation life rock ?
Yes. Tampa Bay reef is a great source. LFS I am reluctant as they often have hidden pests such as aptasia and at times worms

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23 posts in and I’m just wondering if we answered which is “better” yet? :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Every forum has a few of these hot topics. Just like the oil change threads on the Porsche forums.

I sat and adjusted my rockscape for 3 months while I waited for my tank to arrive. Dry rock allowed me to do that, and I don't regret it. I added a few pounds of wet rock from my LFS as well as bottled bac to get the cycle going.

Cost was an issue. I'm $10k into this system. Going all live rock would have cost me another $1k plus the shipping cost.

5 Months in with no real drama. I pulled an aiptasia out of the tank this morning, so the hitchhiker argument may not hold much water.

I'm setting up another system for my mother, and I'll do it the same way.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone ever bring up adding sensitives like anemones if the live rock is still to wait it out 6 months or if you can get them added sooner?
Once you can maintain stable water quality, getting a nem is fine.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did anyone ever bring up adding sensitives like anemones if the live rock is still to wait it out 6 months or if you can get them added sooner?
Depends on the anemone and the tank. A dry rock tank may well not be ready for anemones after any of the semi-arbitrary numbers (6 months, 8 months, 12 months, whatever), depending on circumstances. A tank started with some live rock is likely to be ready sooner, and a tank with all live rock is probably ready sooner, though it's not necessarily a guarantee. Starving the tank, for example, could make it unable to support much of anything.

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would measure you tank parameters. If they are in line AND consistent you should be good to go.
Best of luck and happy reefing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back