Live rock

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely. More than likely you will get some sort of bad hitchhikers, Especially if you get a lot of rock.
Although true, most often those bad hitchhikers are a few easily trapped gorilla crabs, maybe a fireworm you have to pull out. Live rock rarely brings in anything truly nasty, and the biodiversity it brings can help to keep away the truly nasty pests, like dinos, that can plague dry rock tanks.

Though getting a small amount (10lb package from somewhere, maybe) to seed a dry rock tank is an option, if someone wants to keep to an easily-inspected amount.

I love the live rock I started my tank with. The diversity of life is great fun to look at when it comes in, and the amount that's survived in my tank to date is really nice. Colorful algaes, a couple of interesting sponges, a wide assortment of things like clams, tunicates, and fanworms. You can't beat a few years of time in the ocean for biodiversity and maturity.

I got most of my rock shipped air freight from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and highly recommend them. They have small packages available shipped to your door, or their freight packages, and they sent me some nice freebies like an interesting cerith and a sea urchin. I also got a 10lb package from KP Aquatics (also great rock, no complaints, but they're usually out of stock), and a 10lb from Gulf Live Rock (incredible diversity, gorgeous, but had cirolanids).

Pennywise67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 125 gallon in september with 100lbs of Tampa Bay Saltwater rock. Tank cycled very quickly ( no huge ammonia spikes and within 4 weeks it was stable. I got a ton of desirable hitchhikers. Caribbean Dwarf Octopus ( still alive and i catch him out in the middle of the night) a bright orange fleshy lImpet, baby pincushion urchin ( was the size of a pencil eraser, now bigger than a golf ball), a long spine black urchin, tons of sponges, macro algae's, bunch of small crabs, a pistol shrimp ( never seen it byt hear it nightly) clams, oysters. all the big stuff is still thriving today. The Octo goes through hermits and snails but thats no biggie, i just order a bunch from reef cleaners

octo.jpg

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - many people use dry rock because of the (mistaken) idea that if they use live they are taking stuff from the ocean (i.e. hurting the reef). Second. There are multiple types of 'live rock' and 'dry rock'. Third. I don't see any advantage to buying live rock then putting it in the dark for 2-3 weeks to 'cure' it. If you're going to use live rock - use it right from the supplier in your tank. Fourth If you're worried about things that might die on your rock and foul your tank if you add it directly - aren't you removing much of the reason you bought it in the first place? i.e. biodiversity? In the days when live rock was first being imported it was basically chiseled out of the reef - wrapped in news papers (wet) and shipped. This usually took a day or so - and by the time the rock arrived, it smelled, etc. and the recommendation then was to let it sit in a vat with water changes until all of the dying stuff died, Again - I ask if you're going to do that (sometimes for several weeks) what advantage are you getting.

Of course now companies overnight rock and that is less of an issue. But I think the argument that many people don't use live rock due to cost may be true in some cases, but - not in the vast majority. I have read a couple articles that live rock is better than dry - but it's not convincing to me - and I certainly wouldn't buy all live rock in favor of a mixture. My tank (see build thread) - was started with dry rock nearly 100%. And bottled bacteria and several corals were added within a week with CUC and fish a short while later. I can't say I had 'no' uglies, but most of the issues were on the sand as compared to the rock - since the rock was covered by coral, and thus shaded.
Not sure why you quoted me on your introduction to reefing for 3rd graders? First, second, third, what the heck. Anyone who says that it's better to start a tank with dry rock over live is simply wrong. Therein lies the excuse of pests outweighing the advantages provided. I'm not saying starting a tank with dry is wrong by any means. I will say that the introduction of dry rock gave the hobby the term "ugly phase". Not something I would want on my resume. Now you can try to dissect this all you want but I think it's pretty clear.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure why you quoted me on your introduction to reefing for 3rd graders?
Not sure why you quoted me on your introduction to reefing for 3rd graders? First, second, third, what the heck. Anyone who says that it's better to start a tank with dry rock over live is simply wrong. Therein lies the excuse of pests outweighing the advantages provided. I'm not saying starting a tank with dry is wrong by any means. I will say that the introduction of dry rock gave the hobby the term "ugly phase". Not something I would want on my resume. Now you can try to dissect this all you want but I think it's pretty clear.
Not sure what reefing for third graders means - in other words I don't look at the titles of each post I quote - sorry.
Anyone that says first second third - is not by definition wrong (which I did).
Great we agree there is nothing wrong with starting a tank with dry rock 'by any means'
Yes - it's pretty clear that we in general agree. except you're using buzzwords

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what reefing for third graders means - in other words I don't look at the titles of each post I quote - sorry.
Anyone that says first second third - is not by definition wrong (which I did).
Great we agree there is nothing wrong with starting a tank with dry rock 'by any means'
Yes - it's pretty clear that we in general agree. except you're using buzzwords
So where do we disagree?

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll see hitchhikers in any case
This is my overall philosophy with reefs in regards to pests, parasites, algae, etc…

It is nearly impossible to keep everything out of your tank, so a lot of what is done to prevent it is simply delaying the inevitable.

I have a somewhat controversial position on parasites in the system, and I definitely don’t want to recommend my methodology to anybody. Suffice it to say, I have not only used real live rock (at least as a percentage) in every tank I’ve ever done, I also have not quarantined any fish since early in the GWB administration.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
23 posts in and I’m just wondering if we answered which is “better” yet? :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Yes we did. there is going to be an argument from here to Christmas - I believe that was my first post

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to call you out - I never said anything about you in this thread about reefing for third graders - if you can find it - great. I never said starting a tank with dead vs live rock was 'better' I said they are probably equivalent .Its easy to dissect either I mis-spoke - or you misquoted or are just plain wrong. That's where the quote button comes in handy. I seriously do not remember calling you a third grader

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of the Australian live rock. The branching cluster shapes allow for lots of flow and cool aqauscapes. I bought quite a bit over the last year and didn't have hitchhikers that I read so much about. Yes it's expansive AF! But it's very light for the size. Easily half the weight will give the same or more volume as the old school Marshall island or Fiji live rock. I also agree that you can use a relatively small amount to seed dead rock to speed up the maturing process.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Life Rock" and similar products are basically concrete and are much less porous.
CaribSea Life rock specifically says it is NOT man made but mined ancient rock that was once under the ocean. I can attest, I have 200 lbs of it and it is very porous and does not look like the manmade "real reef" brand concrete rock also available. TBS has excellent farmed live rock but for dry rock I suggest life rock.

Ratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 125 gallon in september with 100lbs of Tampa Bay Saltwater rock. Tank cycled very quickly ( no huge ammonia spikes and within 4 weeks it was stable. I got a ton of desirable hitchhikers. Caribbean Dwarf Octopus ( still alive and i catch him out in the middle of the night) a bright orange fleshy lImpet, baby pincushion urchin ( was the size of a pencil eraser, now bigger than a golf ball), a long spine black urchin, tons of sponges, macro algae's, bunch of small crabs, a pistol shrimp ( never seen it byt hear it nightly) clams, oysters. all the big stuff is still thriving today. The Octo goes through hermits and snails but thats no biggie, i just order a bunch from reef cleaners

octo.jpg
That octopus is awesome! I am really intrigued and excited to join this hobby. Thank you for sharing the picture. Neat you got more than you intended.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that Fiji is exporting again maybe someone can buy Walt Smith's operation.

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you will ever achieve this kind of aquascape with live. Dont get me wrong if I could get rock like 15 years ago I would go live for sure.
be well and happy reefing
Dan
1705979441825.png

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea Life rock specifically says it is NOT man made but mined ancient rock that was once under the ocean. I can attest, I have 200 lbs of it and it is very porous and does not look like the manmade "real reef" brand concrete rock also available. TBS has excellent farmed live rock but for dry rock I suggest life rock.
Thanks. I confused Life Rock and Real Reef Rock. So, life rock is basically Marco rock, but probably less expensive.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think you will ever achieve this kind of aquascape with live. Dont get me wrong if I could get rock like 15 years ago I would go live for sure.
be well and happy reefing
Dan
1705979441825.png
Great scape. I think that scape / style is achievable w live rock. Why do u feel otherwise?

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the comment.
Ok this replies contains a lot of 'I think' and 'maybe' and 'likely not'. So take this with a grain of salt:)
I think you would need an abundance of rock to chose from or get lucky when breaking it down.
If the rock you are starting with is boulder-like and dense chiseling it will likely not give you the desired shapes (maybe).Tacking rock together with glue wont work as well when it is wet??
The cement needs to cure for 24 hours (unless you are using aquasticks).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back