Live rotifers - worth dosing to reef tank?

geologeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed your SN, I am a Geologist and am also setting up a molly breeding tank....
Well being a reefer and a geologist I have much respect to the Ordovician period......love the name!

So what you setting up the Molly breeding tank for? Will this be FW or are you going to acclimate to SW? Mollies will breed in full salinity, just the gestation takes a bit longer.

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well being a reefer and a geologist I have much respect to the Ordovician period......love the name!

So what you setting up the Molly breeding tank for? Will this be FW or are you going to acclimate to SW? Mollies will breed in full salinity, just the gestation takes a bit longer.
My masters work was concerning the Late Ord Mass Extinction.... Using U isotopes (in a stable system) as a proxy for global anoxia.

I am breeding them as feeders for our lion in the main display tank. I am trying it in full salt, 20 gallon ganged with another 20 gal.

Rick

geologeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice would be to keep an eye on your males as they tend to burn themselves out by constantly harassing the females and may need to be replenished from time to time.......

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem with dosing phyto is that there is no good way to separate the algae cells from their culture water. I don’t want to add old culture water to a reef. I’ve tried coffee filters, but it lets too much algae through, I’ve tried micron filters, but they are too slow.
Years ago, I used phyto to feed zebra mussels and did not achieve any greater longevity than not feeding them at all.
Jay

what is your concern dosing the culture water?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%
Back