New to TM All for Reef

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a quick question. I have never used All for Reef before, but I am considering it. I do not have a dosing pump of any kind. Can I just manually dose it daily? My tank is 90 gallons, when considering rock, it is about 80 gallons in actual volume.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure I manually dosed for a year before I switched to automated dosing.
Awesome. SO would I just follow the instructions, but dose the daily amount all at once in a high flow area rather than it being spread out thru out the day?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. SO would I just follow the instructions, but dose the daily amount all at once in a high flow area rather than it being spread out thru out the day?
I dose mine in between my skimmer and return area in the "bubble trap". All at once. Do you know what you consumption is?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, when I was manually dosing I did it all at once. Start out with recommended amounts and test and adjust based on tests.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with the lowest dose for the tank for a couple days, test and see where you are. My consumption is around .4 daily.

If you dont have much consumption dont dose yet. If you do regular w/c you may not need to. keep an eye and when your w/c is not keeping up then start dosing.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better yet, don't dose at all yet until you figure out your consumption.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that is really the whole point in this convo, is to help me figure this out. I was not planning on dosing yet, Just needed to know if manual was possible. So for now, the plan is to check ALK daily over a 3 day period to see what my tank consumes, then go from there. Most of my corals are soft, but I do have 2 favia's, and one acro. Does this plan make sense to you.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that is really the whole point in this convo, is to help me figure this out. I was not planning on dosing yet, Just needed to know if manual was possible. So for now, the plan is to check ALK daily over a 3 day period to see what my tank consumes, then go from there. Most of my corals are soft, but I do have 2 favia's, and one acro. Does this plan make sense to you.
Water change schedule? Coralline growing? 2 favias and one acro are not going to put much of a dent in your alk, calc, mag. Soft corals will use some trace elements but I doubt youll notice at all.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change schedule? Coralline growing? 2 favias and one acro are not going to put much of a dent in your alk, calc, mag. Soft corals will use some trace elements but I doubt youll notice at all.
I do a 25% WC every other weekend, and yes plenty of coralline growing everywhere. I have several zoa's, a toadstool, and a couple mushrooms. As well a very healthy CUC, and a skunk cleaner shrimp.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 25% WC every other weekend, and yes plenty of coralline growing everywhere. I have several zoa's, a toadstool, and a couple mushrooms. As well a very healthy CUC, and a skunk cleaner shrimp.
Keep an eye on the consumption. If it starts to drop more then your w/c supplies then start dosing. I had issues with the w/c schedule on mine it was causing nitrate and phosphate to be too low so I backed off weekly went to every 2-3 weeks and that was borderline needing to dose then stuff started to grow and dosing became needed.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. You have a low demand tank (possibly midrange with the coralline). Add something in range of recommendation and check daily for a week and then adjust. Adjust sooner if out of range high. If low, give it another day as AFR has delayed alk response.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the consumption. If it starts to drop more then your w/c supplies then start dosing. I had issues with the w/c schedule on mine it was causing nitrate and phosphate to be too low so I backed off weekly went to every 2-3 weeks and that was borderline needing to dose then stuff started to grow and dosing became needed.
Ahh, I see, so as little as everything is right now, I am probably fine. I will do my 3 day thing to see what it looks like, but what you are saying makes absolute sense to me.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. You have a low demand tank (possibly midrange with the coralline). Add something in range of recommendation and check daily for a week and then adjust. Adjust sooner if out of range high. If low, give it another day as AFR has delayed alk response.
Thank you for the help. I am new to corals in general, and just got my first ever SPS last week. So this side of things is very foreign to me.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is spot on.

OP - no need to rush as you stated "you are just getting into corals". So you need to understand your consumption rate. A water change may be enough. It may not. I don't want to assume but if you haven't read Tropic Marins instructions as they recommend getting water chemistry for Alk, Ca, and Mg to desired levels before starting. I try and match my water to the salt I use in case I have an emergency the display and salt is close and I don't need to stress or manually correct.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with that low demand stocking it’s plausible that your 25% water change might hold for a while….
I’d bet it does if you don’t add clams, et for a while

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back