Live sand a rock

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I'm not sure what you mean by "never fully set up", but is the sand still in bags and was it exposed to extreme temperature? You may have some die-off, but that will likely be taken care of during the cycling process.

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 20gallon tank online that was never fully set up. He has live sand a rock in it but never ran water. Do I need to get new sand or can I start setting it up?
Welcome!

Glad you joined

I'd give that sand a couple rinses in tap water (just in case) until clear, then final rinse in RO water, then add sand to tank. No need to get new sand, you'd have to rinse it to remove excess silicates anyhow so IMO start where you are and use what you have. NOTE: the tap rinse may kill the 'live' aspect... but not rinsing may later feed diatoms... Fritz TurboStart 900 is another way to introduce cycle but google cycle start and enjoy the many opinions

Upvote 0

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 20gallon tank online that was never fully set up. He has live sand a rock in it but never ran water. Do I need to get new sand or can I start setting it up?
With this, I'd set everything up exactly as I would in any other case. Set it up, rock and sand as preferred, then fill up with water.

Any decomposition or whatever will just be handled by the cycle.

Upvote 0

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it did not get wet, you can move forward. If it is old or removed from the bag ... the "live" bacteria may be dead. No big deal ... just treat the set up as if you had dry rock and sand. Rinse, rinse, rinse in RO .... add some bottled bacteria like Dr Tim's, etc. and wait out the cycle.
Good luck! Welcome to the salty family!!
Good Morning Hello GIF by Hill's Pet Nutrition

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back