Live TBS rock boosting Nitrate

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added live base rock from TBS on the 12th. I never saw a change in Nitrate or Nitrite but did see an ammonia spike. Ammonia is now 0. What should I add to increase the Nitrate? I was expecting to see more of a cycling. Is this just toss a body in and see if it survives? I really hate to add extra stuff that's not needed but noticed that BRS added Dr Tims to everything including the live TBS rock and sand they did.

Should I just add some mysis cubes at this point?

Thanks for the input.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ammonia was processed then you can add fish. Wait to add coral until some time has passed to ensure stability. You don’t need any bottle bacteria

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you just want the assurance of seeing it process ammonia, you can add some (a ppm or two).

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at your build thread. Nice! The 100 lbs of live base rock will do everything needed. Don't add any Dr. Tim's or anything else like it. I'd start adding quarantined fish at this point. Check out Dr. Reef if you haven't quarantined the fish yourself. Add a few, depending on size. Feed them lightly for a week and make sure ammonia doesn't rise, then start feeding normally. I don't think ammonia will rise. Wait a couple weeks and repeat.

After adding a few fish, you could add some premium live rock and even some easy corals. These additions are intended to add biodiversity and more organisms that consume/manage nitrogen compounds.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back