LiveAquaria helps to minimize the ‘Dory effect’

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13343026_10154285133929706_7673302004996965704_n.png
Finding Nemo was a wonderful animated tale that brought our lovable saltwater fish to the masses, and it also brought many people into the hobby hoping to bring a “Nemo” home for their little frags to raise and admire. LiveAquaria is helping to minimize the potential “Dory effect” from the upcoming film Finding Dory by

Continue reading...

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're putting all the focus on Dory, but are we doing anything for Nemo. I get that the "star" this time is Dory, but the same characters are in it and she was one of the main ones last time too. What if they STILL go crazy for Nemo and we have nothing up telling peeps not to buy those either. If they go to the fish store to look for a Dory and see the sign, they may look in the next tank and there's a nice small Nemo, doing their cute little wiggle.....without all the problems of the Dory. Perfect! Let's buy Nemo instead!

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is steering people new to aquarium keeping to freshwater which when successful would help both. I think the reason for the bigger push with dory is that they are all wild caught. Not that that being captive raised should in anyway make clownfish more expendable. It is just that they are available in bulk without an environmental impact attached.

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that a good idea would be for all the LFS (at least the ones with good work and moral ethics) in the USA should refrain from selling blue hippos (and clown fish)in the first month of the movie release.

THAT would really minimize the "Dory effect."

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly would not expect the LFS to not to sell these fish for 3 months. I don't believe it makes them unethical to continue to do so.

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
truthfully i find the biggest difference to be that when Finding Nemo was released it brought alot of awareness to the Saltwater industry. As "Nemo" can be raised in a propagation tank it did not affect the wild life count as hard. It taught many people a love and understanding for the hobby. I fear that the "Dory" effect will do just the opposite were clowns are hardier the hippo tank is delicate and will die very easily i fear that parent will act without thought and rush out to get their kids the dory and not realize all the steps that need to be done to give this creature a proper home. These animals will suffer and die then the parents will get upset and either buy another fish to die or they will just throw the stuff away. I fear for the hobby with Finding Dory coming out, it already has a negative light on it because of all the coral reef bleaching. Politicians trying to say that it is a increase in the hobby that is killing the corals and wild life when in reality hobbyist are some of the most actively involved in helping the cause.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend was sold an 8 gallon "Nemo tank" with a frogspawn. Not all Nemos felt "the love".

terrence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're putting all the focus on Dory, but are we doing anything for Nemo. I get that the "star" this time is Dory, but the same characters are in it and she was one of the main ones last time too. What if they STILL go crazy for Nemo and we have nothing up telling peeps not to buy those either. If they go to the fish store to look for a Dory and see the sign, they may look in the next tank and there's a nice small Nemo, doing their cute little wiggle.....without all the problems of the Dory. Perfect! Let's buy Nemo instead!
Most clownish now are tank raised I myself breed clownish(nemo) blue tangs (dory) on the other do not breed in captivity so all are wild caught

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the WC populations are not the only issue. Why did we ever speak of Nemo and be concerned for the Nemo effect.... they were captive bred then too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back