Leaving the hobby

niunia0208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
Haven't posted on here before but have definitely looking through here many times to find solutions to tank problems, so for that I am so grateful.
I am finally posting because I was wondering what is the best and easiest way to get out of the hobby....
I love my fish and corals dearly but after 3 years I am a bit tired. I'm starting the first semester of my bachelors soon, and will probably be traveling most of the summer, and the stress of keeping a tank through that sounds horrible, I have other animals along with a job and a relationship to keep up. But I can't help but feel bad about all the time and love I've put into it, but I know it's about my time to leave.
Any advice or tips are appreciated.

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to wait it out for a while if you can.
I have several hobbies, but I usually go in cycles where I give more focus over the others. Currently my primary hobby is my aquarium and I don't have much interest in my other hobbies, but I know that will change and my aquarium will be secondary or tertiary where it will be more of an effort to maintain rather than enjoy it. This will cycle back around for it to become primary again.
I have spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours doing some of my hobbies. They were my obsession. Then I became so disinterested that I stopped and sold everything. Only to get back into the hobby again later. This has happened at least twice with the same hobby

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand, if you already know it's going to be stressful and difficult, that probably means the tanks will be neglected is some form. Personally I believe it might be better for the animals to give them up at the first signs of neglect.

Whenever I have an extremely busy period at my companies, my LFS comes round once a week to do maintenance for me. Would that be an option?

Slimer'sGreenBali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand, if you already know it's going to be stressful and difficult, that probably means the tanks will be neglected is some form. Personally I believe it might be better for the animals to give them up at the first signs of neglect.

Whenever I have an extremely busy period at my companies, my LFS comes round once a week to do maintenance for me. Would that be an option?
I second this. I'm far busier now than I was when I first got into the hobby and I think having someone come by and do most of the grunt work is the only way I could manage my responsibilities and still maintain a reef tank.

My tank definitely started to decline when I began my bachelor degree!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start posting what you have for sale in the market here. When you are ready. Start looking for a lfs that will take what’s left.

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
Haven't posted on here before but have definitely looking through here many times to find solutions to tank problems, so for that I am so grateful.
I am finally posting because I was wondering what is the best and easiest way to get out of the hobby....
I love my fish and corals dearly but after 3 years I am a bit tired. I'm starting the first semester of my bachelors soon, and will probably be traveling most of the summer, and the stress of keeping a tank through that sounds horrible, I have other animals along with a job and a relationship to keep up. But I can't help but feel bad about all the time and love I've put into it, but I know it's about my time to leave.
Any advice or tips are appreciated.
Can always post to local groups and party out live stock and system or just live stock and keep your system in storage.. What part of Florida are you in?

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could always parse out your system through a local club, FB, or craigslist, but I suggest you also consider keeping most of what you have collected. Hear me out. If you have coral banked with other reef hobbyists, you can always return to the hobby when life levels out a bit. Most of us get the itch to start reef again and have to start from zero, spending all that money $$$$$ a second time. I guarantee inflation will have made things even more expensive, new and used gear. If you already have nice equipment, just tuck it away somewhere. You can even dry out the live rock and cook it, when you are ready to restart your system. A friend made this suggestion to me once and it has saved me many thousands of dollars through the ups and downs. Obviously, fish will need to be donated or sold, but you can at least save on the rest of it. If you come to a place where you know you will never return to the hobby... then sell it all.

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just sell the live stock, do a nice cleaning, and run the tank with just a fish or two. A FOWLR tank with minimal fish will take the stress out a TON! Then, like others said, with time you may realize your reefing journey is over, or you will simply have a blank canvas for a new masterpiece!!! Give your self an easier choice with less stress and demand is my suggestion!! Good luck!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell it all off if school is your focus.

Or sell livestock and store the tank if you want to pick it up again.

Although when I went to college....tanks went with me, mostly freshwater, but I did have a FOWLR the last year which I ran for a couple of years after.

OP
OP
N

niunia0208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell it all off if school is your focus.

Or sell livestock and store the tank if you want to pick it up again.

Although when I went to college....tanks went with me, mostly freshwater, but I did have a FOWLR the last year which I ran for a couple of years after.
It's not necessarily school but the travel that's the problem, I really don't want to pay for someone to care for my tank and none of my family would figure it out, nor do I want to put that on them. I always come back to a problem in my tank after I leave it alone...

OP
OP
N

niunia0208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can always post to local groups and party out live stock and system or just live stock and keep your system in storage.. What part of Florida are you in?
I'm already in the reef groups on Facebook for my area, so I will check on posting on there. I'm in pinellas county

OP
OP
N

niunia0208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always parse out your system through a local club, FB, or craigslist, but I suggest you also consider keeping most of what you have collected. Hear me out. If you have coral banked with other reef hobbyists, you can always return to the hobby when life levels out a bit. Most of us get the itch to start reef again and have to start from zero, spending all that money $$$$$ a second time. I guarantee inflation will have made things even more expensive, new and used gear. If you already have nice equipment, just tuck it away somewhere. You can even dry out the live rock and cook it, when you are ready to restart your system. A friend made this suggestion to me once and it has saved me many thousands of dollars through the ups and downs. Obviously, fish will need to be donated or sold, but you can at least save on the rest of it. If you come to a place where you know you will never return to the hobby... then sell it all.
Thank you, I definitely know I'm going to want to come back in the future, hadn't thought about saving stuff, but now definitely will!

OP
OP
N

niunia0208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to wait it out for a while if you can.
I have several hobbies, but I usually go in cycles where I give more focus over the others. Currently my primary hobby is my aquarium and I don't have much interest in my other hobbies, but I know that will change and my aquarium will be secondary or tertiary where it will be more of an effort to maintain rather than enjoy it. This will cycle back around for it to become primary again.
I have spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours doing some of my hobbies. They were my obsession. Then I became so disinterested that I stopped and sold everything. Only to get back into the hobby again later. This has happened at least twice with the same hobby
Yeah, I can understand that, I've gone through the same thing with this tank and other hobbies. Will consider putting it on the back burner, but I don't want to worry about it when I'm traveling and I don't want to have to stay at home cause of it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back