LiveAquaria Sick Fish Issues, Need Assistance

BlueReef7521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Desjardini Sailfin tang and Emperor Angelfish from LiveAquaria a little over 4 weeks ago. Both fish arrived and looked ok. I did my regular drip acclimation and added both fish to the QT Tank. I noticed the emperor angel was breathing very rapidly.

On the 7th day evening, I noticed both fish breathing extremely heavily and starting to look pale. The very next day both fish were sprinkled with what appears to be velvet and the emporer was at its side, it died the same day around midnight. I messaged LA about this, they will not honor the fish passing since it died right within the 7 day mark. I get 0 credit or help with the angelfish. They're the ones who sent me sick fish!
Since the desjarini was still alive I asked for a warranty extension since it was sick and they told me NO as well. I was able to get the sailfin tang to survive another week and half before passing. I spent $80 fast shipping copper test kits, kanaplex, metroplex, and furan to try to fight the velvet and later a bacterial infection. It was such a nightmare.

How is it fair for a fish seller to send me sick fish, are there any consumer protection laws for this? Ive been a customer at LiveAquaria for 10 years but this is the first time they have denied me warranty like this. I rarely get fish in this condition from them. I have not had to battle velvet since I started the hobby.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second reefer above. Years ago, you could just watch fish for few weeks in observation tank, now it seem t prudent to profilacticaly treat them in QT upon arrival. None of my LFS treats fish with medication, so it's basicaly Wild West here.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not the same after being bought out by Petco

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I ordered a Desjardini Sailfin tang and Emperor Angelfish from LiveAquaria a little over 4 weeks ago. Both fish arrived and looked ok. I did my regular drip acclimation and added both fish to the QT Tank. I noticed the emperor angel was breathing very rapidly.

On the 7th day evening, I noticed both fish breathing extremely heavily and starting to look pale. The very next day both fish were sprinkled with what appears to be velvet and the emporer was at its side, it died the same day around midnight. I messaged LA about this, they will not honor the fish passing since it died right within the 7 day mark. I get 0 credit or help with the angelfish. They're the ones who sent me sick fish!
Since the desjarini was still alive I asked for a warranty extension since it was sick and they told me NO as well. I was able to get the sailfin tang to survive another week and half before passing. I spent $80 fast shipping copper test kits, kanaplex, metroplex, and furan to try to fight the velvet and later a bacterial infection. It was such a nightmare.

How is it fair for a fish seller to send me sick fish, are there any consumer protection laws for this? Ive been a customer at LiveAquaria for 10 years but this is the first time they have denied me warranty like this. I rarely get fish in this condition from them. I have not had to battle velvet since I started the hobby.
We all know , not that you do to get fish from them ONLY from WI , not California facility and you are at the period where there is burden of proof. It is unfortunate but many have resorted to both :
Dr Reef - QT fish
AND
Reef Beauties - 15 day warranty

What symptoms other than dots did fish display ?

Munjy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur. I am no longer a customer of LA. The quality of livestock and packaging detail is not good.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my regular drip acclimation and added both fish to the QT Tank. I noticed the emperor angel was breathing very rapidly.
This part sounds like ammonia poisoning from doing a slow drip on a shipped fish...

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put it strictly on LA, although I don't buy from them any more due to DOAs. Fish from any business can have disease. I can't remember the last time I've been in a LFS and not seen some disease or dead fish. I start QT on day one. One thing I don't understand is why they were in a QT tank for a week without starting copper? Tank transfer for four days would have significantly cleared the velvet also.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back