liverock help

  • Thread starter Thread starter jared185
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jared185

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 1, 2014
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
ky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I recently bought a 120 gallon aquarium and the guy threw in 40lbs of live rock however the liverock has been in a sealed container on his porch still in water but with no heater. It also has a clear jelly looking substance on it. Im setting tank up tomarrow do you all think it is still ok to put it in the setup tank I have a bunch of other live roxk and dont want to mix it if there could be dying rock or something that would raise nitrates
 
To be safe I would treat it like dead rock. Scrub and recure is what I would do. Even if it's been keep in water the good bacteria will die if there's nothing to feed on; the lack of circulation and heat doesn't help either.
 
I agree, I would definitely cure it. After you clean it well, put it in a tub with a heater and circulation. Length of time I'll let others chime in.
 
Ok should I also do this with the sand its been out of tank in a container with water for 2 weeks as well
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new