Livestock (fish) for 40G Breeder

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of getting my first saltwater tank set up. I purchased a 40g Breeder during the recent Petco sale. There are so many suggestions and lists for fish; my biggest concern is that fish aren't crowded and live harmoniously. One of my considerations was a surgeon fish (tangs) of some sort, but I know that 40g is way too small for a tang to live comfortably or long term. Are there other fish out there that perform as good of a job in algae control?

Current running (want) list:
Clown pair
Watchman Goby
Bangai Cardinal Fish
Firefish

Any suggestions/discussion is much appreciated.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a clown but those are all good/peaceful fish (on paper; individuals can always vary). My suggestion as your first saltwater tank (and there are tons of opinions out there) is to go slow. Start with one fish. Dial in filtration for that one; get another, etc. Slow and steady...just my thoughts. Oh and for fish, tailspot blenny...so much personality

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of getting my first saltwater tank set up. I purchased a 40g Breeder during the recent Petco sale. There are so many suggestions and lists for fish; my biggest concern is that fish aren't crowded and live harmoniously. One of my considerations was a surgeon fish (tangs) of some sort, but I know that 40g is way too small for a tang to live comfortably or long term. Are there other fish out there that perform as good of a job in algae control?

Current running (want) list:
Clown pair
Watchman Goby
Bangai Cardinal Fish
Firefish

Any suggestions/discussion is much appreciated.
The simple Yellow Tang is IMM, the single best rock/sand cleaner ever.
Non stop grazer.
I might just try that, mines 6 years old, is super peaceful and respectful of others, and has not grown much past 4”.
I know it’s pushing the envelope a bit, but this one spent 4 years in 55g, with 10 others, worked fine for me.
Just introduce last.
748BB802-20C8-4906-8774-CD7B0CB8A574.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need tangs for algae...

literally a good cuc does just as good a job. It isn't like every nano is an algae box or people are going in with tweezers pulling it out themselves. There are even larger tangless tanks and they seem to do fine.

Trochus snails are my fav
Emerald crab can remove bigger stuff if you get something annoying/invasive like bubble algae or macro stuff
Tuxedo urchins can be interesting to watch

Add the fish you want that work well together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OctoReef12

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a clown but those are all good/peaceful fish (on paper; individuals can always vary). My suggestion as your first saltwater tank (and there are tons of opinions out there) is to go slow. Start with one fish. Dial in filtration for that one; get another, etc. Slow and steady...just my thoughts. Oh and for fish, tailspot blenny...so much personality
I totally agree about going slow. I don't plan on adding more than a fish or two without ensuring the tank is stable after the introduction. You and Shibaken3 have me going down a Tailspot Blenny rabbit hole. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
OctoReef12

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need tangs for algae...

literally a good cuc does just as good a job. It isn't like every nano is an algae box or people are going in with tweezers pulling it out themselves. There are even larger tangless tanks and they seem to do fine.

Trochus snails are my fav
Emerald crab can remove bigger stuff if you get something annoying/invasive like bubble algae or macro stuff
Tuxedo urchins can be interesting to watch

Add the fish you want that work well together.
Yeah I didn't think I needed one, but have heard nothing but great things about how good they are with algae control. I do plan on having a decent cuc once the tank is established and has "food" for the crew.

I have thought about Urchins for the cuc as well as a Tile Sea Star.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back